Chapter 76

Omkara got up early next morning. And so did Gauri. Well, she got up early anyways, but four am in the morning was too early for anyone in Mumbai. Last night both of them had slept off without eating anything, so their stomach grumbles awakened them before sunrise. 

"Did you eat anything last night?" Omkara asked Gauri, who was sitting up in her couch.

Gauri shook her head. 

"Neither did I" said Omkara.

There was an embarrassed silence, as both hadn't spoken to each other the entire day yesterday.

"Shall I....shall I make something?" asked Gauri.

"No, you stay here, I'll go and see" said Omkara, and left the bedroom to cook something in the kitchen. 

Since she was awake, she might as well take a bath and get dressed thought Gauri, and proceeded to the bathroom. 

As Gauri was finishing her prayers, she saw Omkara entering with a plate of something smelling different. 

"Hey, I....er made us, some pasta" he said, sheepishly. 

"What is that?" asked Gauri, as she sat down on her couch.

"Its not Indian, its from Italy. Anyways, let it be where its from. Try it?" asked Omkara

Gauri was hungry from last night, so she didn't care whether she had something from Italy or China. She tried it, it was a little bland for her taste, but then what was to be expected from something white in color. Jab rang hi pheeka ho, toh svaad bhi pheeka hi hoga (When the color is dull, then the taste would be dull too) thought Gauri. 

Maybe her thoughts reflected on her face, because Omkara asked her, genuinely, "Maybe its not suiting your taste buds? What do you like to eat?" 

"Its nothing like that. Its fine." said Gauri, too quickly.

"Its okay, seriously. What do you like to eat? Is Pav bhaaji your favorite?" asked Omkara

"No, Pav bhaaji is just something I started liking after coming to Mumbai. What I like the most, is dal chaawal (lentils with rice) with garlic chutney made by my mother. Its finger licking good." said Gauri excitedly.

Omkara felt amused to see the delight on her face, then immediately felt suspicious whether this was real or was she lying again, and then chided himself for over-thinking every action of hers. He tried to ignore those thoughts by stuffing his mouth with pasta. In a few minutes, the plate was clean. 

"Er, Gauri?" asked Omkara, as she got up to leave. She stopped looking at him questioningly.

"Thanks for your help with the auditing thing. You were right, there was a mole in my own company, who was stealing from me. You saved my company from going into loss in this deal." explained Omkara as he thanked her. She didn't know, but she had also saved him from making a fool of himself, as his father, Mr. Oberoi might have used this as an argument to repudiate the contract he signed with Omkara, justifying that his son failed to make a mark in business. 

Gauri smiled, but her mind went back to what she had pieced together from what Jahnvi and Svetlana had told her. Jahnvi had told her long back that Omkaraji was forced into business to save her marriage, and the day before yesterday Svetlana had chided Omkaraji for being a painter? 

"Do you miss it? Painting?" asked Gauri, wishing she could curb this inquisitiveness she had. 

"If I answer this question, will you answer one of mine?" asked Omkara.