Chapter 159

Tej and Shakti recognized him, how could they not?

"Bhaisaab" Shakti whispered to Tej.

"Pretend that you don't know him. After all, we only saw him briefly at Harsh's house" said Tej.

"But he knows us.....what if?" said Shakti. 

"We'll see, it was more than twenty five years ago. We went to Harsh's house just once, Shivaay, Annika, no one is suspicious until now. So, there is no reason to assume the worst" said Tej urgently.

"Bade Papa, Papa, you've come at an opportune moment" said Shivaay, his face expressionless. 

"What do you mean?" asked Tej. 

"This is Annika and Gauri's maternal uncle. Wait, I better bring the rest of the family here as well, otherwise we'll have to do introductions again" laughed Shivaay.

An hour later the entire family was gathered in the living hall, conversing with Dharesh, who glanced at the two Oberoi seniors covertly. 

Shakti looked uncomfortable, but Tej managed the cool demeanor pretty well. 

"It was nice meeting you all, I think Harsh did mention Tej ji and Shakti ji to me, but of course, I never met them in person, until now" said Dharesh, stressing on the meeting part, looking significantly at Tej and Shakti. 

Shakti looked even more discomforted if possible, but Tej smiled and said, "Its unfortunate I don't remember much from before the mills accident. I, Shakti, and my wife, Jahnvi, were so busy establishing the business that we couldn't get a chance to know our employees better. After the accident of course, some of them passed away, and some left, not wanting to associate with the Oberoi business anymore."

"But the business survived didn't it, in fact it bloomed, after all, it received the funds from the insurance claim?" said Dharesh off-handedly. 

Nobody could contradict these facts, since they were true, but there was an awkward pause at this. 

"We are hosting a memorial service coming Friday for the families of all the victims in the fire. Our family has supported them through these years, as much as we could, and thinking of extending further financial support to those victims" said Shivaay, his tone a tad defensive, perhaps brought on by the underlying assumption in Dharesh's words that the Oberoi business benefited from the disaster.

"Life cannot be replaced with money, Shivaay" said Om, his face expressionless, though he looked at this father for a second. 

"Mamu, would you like to come to the memorial service too? That is, if bhaiyaa thinks it fit" said Gauri, slightly abashed at speaking out of turn, but wanting to nip any argument in the bud, for the moment. 

"Of course, Dharesh uncle must come. After all, Annika and Gauri's father also disappeared, with them, after the accident, so in a way, they are victims as well" said Shivaay.

"We are victims in more ways than one" said Annika, without thinking, but she quickly covered it up saying, "I mean, victims of circumstances, of fate, how Chutki and I got separated."

"Yes, that is sad" sighed Dadi, sadly. "But I am glad you both found each other, and my family found you."

Annika smiled, but her eyes were sad. She didn't know what they were going to uncover in the coming time, and that thought scared her, because she loved these people. 

"I have to leave now, I have flight to catch to Delhi, but I'll see you all on Friday" said Dharesh getting up. 

Everyone bid them goodbye, and Annika and Gauri went to see him off.