Chapter 64

[Kali is an incarnation of Parvati, wife of the great Hindu god, Shiva. Kali is the goddess of , time, and doomsday and is often associated with violence but is also considered a strong mother-figure and symbolic of motherly-love. She is most often represented in art as a fearful fighting figure with a necklace of heads, skirt of arms, lolling tongue, and brandishing a knife dripping with blood. Her weapons include scimitar, sword, trishul. There are many stories; in one such story Kali went into one of rages, where it looked she would end humanity, and no god was able to stop her. So, her husband, Shiva, lied down on the ground, and Kali accidentally stepped on him. Realizing that she stepped on her husband (which is insulting in Indian culture) Kali immediately calmed down. Relate to chapter 53. Shiva's consort is Durga. Another form of Durga is Kali. Don't connect this to Kali Thakur Lol!]

Gauri stared at her reflection in the mirror

Gauri stared at her reflection in the mirror. The women had left after dressing her up. Unlike last time when she was clothed in pink and orange, this time it was red and blue. Kali didn't deck her up in as many jewels as last time, probably not wanting to lose more money in case she escaped again. But Gauri had other plans. 

This was the day. She had already wasted enough time in this haveli, while her mother was in God knows what condition. Gauri would have put her plan into action yesterday, but there was Omkara's life to consider. Anyways, this was a better opportunity, this time wedding was outside the haveli, it will give her a better escape route afterwards. 

She adjusted her lehenga folds carefully. She was ready. And so it seemed was Kali. 

"Ah Bulbul! Beautiful as ever. You have made me wait long enough, today is the day." he said, grinning evilly. 

He walked and pulled her up by her shoulder, held her hand and walked with her down the haveli. Gauri didn't flinch or shiver anymore. She just fanned the fire within her, remembering every single thing that Kali Thakur had taken away from her: her humanity and dignity when he bought her from her uncle and aunt, her home, her livelihood, her izzat (reputation) and goodwill she had in the community, her right to stay in her own city, her liberty, making her flee from one place to another, her right to stay with her mother and take care of her, her entire former life, even her new life wasn't spared, Dandi bhaiyaa was injured, and he made sure Omkaraji hates her, he took away her relationship with her new found brother, he took away the trust Omkaraji had on her, he took away everything that ever made Gauri happy, and maybe at this moment her mother was struggling to survive, maybe he would take away her mother from her too.....

Gauri didn't notice when they reached the venue. Nobody from the zila was there, they all were scared of Kali Thakur so they didn't say anything when he brought Gauri back, but they had not forgiven her for ruining the old Thakurain's life and pushing her to her death, a crime Gauri never committed. Even now when Kali Thakur's real face was exposed to the public, as he himself brought Gauri back and wanted to marry her, showing that he never mourned his wife, the village was too scared to say anything to him, but they would never accept Gauri back into their fold.