Chapter 187

Gauri was worried, it was almost nightfall and Omkaraji hadn't returned. Did he leave? 

She did tell him to go, but after Richa's wedding. Not like this, disappear suddenly. 

Richa, her mother, and Gauri's mother, all enquired of her, about his whereabouts. Why did they think she would know? After all they didn't know that he was Omkaraji. Gauri told them she was at sea, just like them. 

His absence, however, did give Gauri a reprieve to rethink her position. 

If she told him to leave, why did it matter to her that he left now, or after the wedding? Why did she keep looking at the door the whole day, hoping Dilpreet ji would come hopping back? Did she not want Omkaraji to go? 

Gauri busied herself with the wedding preparations, spending time with her kids, seeing them off in the evening, but all the time at the back of her mind, the thoughts of Omkaraji kept swirling. 

She knew now, she was wrong to hide about her private tuitions from Omkaraji. Honestly, it was so long ago, that she didn't remember why she did in the first place, maybe it was something to do with the friction between them when she returned after the exhibition, she felt she didn't owe him anything. 

She didn't owe him anything even now, but they had crossed that bridge, slowly. 

Gauri felt she had reached the point of conflict, where her values, her faith in the institution of marriage were being pitted against Omkaraji's way of life. 

But one misunderstanding had brought them back to the same place they were months ago, where they started: the question of 'visvaas'. 

Maybe she was at fault for not telling him about the tuitions, because of his past betrayals and insecurities which had made Omkaraji sensitive to anything remotely suspicious. But why didn't he just ask her? And there was no guarantee that this situation won't repeat itself. 

No, it was a hopeless scenario. Except that she loved him, and he loved her back. 

But love is not everything. 

******************************************

Omkara had returned to house late at night. 

Only Richa was awake, since she was talking to Mukesh on the phone. The bride and groom were not allowed to meet three days before the wedding. 

He knocked softly on the door, and Richa opened it. 

"Dilpreetji, where were you? We thought you had left before the wedding, or got lost in the city. Where did you disappear?" whispered Richa.

"Aho ji, I was just sightseeing around the city, and looking for premises. Sorry, I am so late" mumbled Dilpreet.

"Oh no, problem Dilpreet ji, I was awake anyways, talking to Mukesh. Good night then" said Richa, and went to her room

Dilpreet followed suit and went to his room. 

Omkara sat down on his bed. 

He didn't know whether he made the right decision by staying back, but Gauri had invited him to stay till the wedding. 

So, he would. 

****************************************

Gauri woke early as usual, and went about her business, watering the tulsi plant, offering her daily prayers. 

Her foot swelling had come down remarkably since yesterday, though Richa did ask her, how she climbed the stairs to the temple yesterday. 

Gauri had deflected it by saying some stranger helped her.