Chapter 111

Gauri awoke earlier than usual. 

Maybe it was her subconscious telling her that it was inappropriate to be in Omkaraji's bedroom, now that their marriage was dissolved. She looked at Omkaraji asleep, peaceful, his head still resting on her lap. She looked at him, adoringly; he looked much younger, he looked like what she had heard he was before his mother attempted suicide. She liked this version of him the most. 

But now was not the time to admire him. It was still a little dark, dawn just breaking in. Good time for Gauri to sneak out of the mansion, hoping that no one saw her coming back with him yesterday night. 

Dandi bhaiyaa would be anxious back home as well, and she had school today too. Gauri carefully extricated her body from under Omkara's head, replacing that space with a pillow. She rushed out of the room, but not before looking back to catch a last glimpse of Omkaraji sleeping contentedly. 

*****************************************

There were fruit bearing trees all around, it was a day of spring. Not something he had seen in India, but in London. The white, orange, pink flower petals raining all around him, softly. And falling on a girl, dressed in all white, who was spinning slowly, with her arms out to gather them, welcoming the beautiful day with her smile. A smile that surpassed the aura of the sun itself.....

Omkara smiled in his sleep and woke up to the sunlight replacing the moonlight, filtering through his windows. 

He expected to see Gauri holding him, but instead of her there was a cold, unfeeling pillow supporting his head. That dampened his spirits right in the beginning of the day itself. Gauri left him? He hoped after yesterday night she would stay back, with him. But she didn't. 

Omkara looked at the time, it was time for Gauri's school. Yes, of course, she couldn't miss school, education was important, and Omkara understood that. He hoped that Gauri had left him a note or something, but maybe she was in a hurry. 

Omkara relived last evening in his head. He didn't realize when he had a bath, got dressed and went downstairs to have breakfast. It was a late Sunday breakfast so everyone was there at the dining table. Omkara didn't really pay anyone much attention, beyond wishing them good morning. He retreated in his own happy thoughts, smiling to himself. 

"Er, O, why are you smiling to yourself, like an idiot?" asked Rudra curiously. 

Shivaay and Annika also broke up their conversation to look at this. Omkara's parents were also surprised to see their son smiling for no good reason. 

"Shut up, Rudra" said Omkara as usual, but only out of reflex. 

"O, you look weird. Your eyes are all unfocused.....Earth to O, Earth to O" chortled Rudy, while Soumya elbowed him not to make Omkara conscious. 

"Oh my maata! I know why Om is so absorbed in his own thoughts" said Pinky, with a slight victorious glint. 

The atmosphere tensed up. 

After her exposure and Annika's accident, everyone had become cold to Pinky, specially Shivaay, though Pinky tried hard to make amends for her behavior. He rolled his eyes, just as his mother made this comment. 

"What are you talking about, Pinky?" asked Jahnvi, a little short with her. 

"I saw some girl entering with Omkara last night, really late, when I was going to the kitchen to drink water. Pehle toh Rudra aisi harkatein karta tha, ab bada bhai bhi shuru ho gaya. Biwi ke chhode huye sirf kuch hafte huye hain, aur lo dekho inki kartoot. Sirf mera Shivaay, hai jo, iss parivaar ka achcha beta hain" (Earlier only Rudra would up to such things, now his elder brother has started as well. Its just been a few weeks his wife left him, and look at his doings. Only my Shivaay is the good son of the family), said Pinky with a satisfied smile.