82 ❆ Mothers and We

"Did she die?"

A hum, "Yes, she did, frozen to death in front of over half the academy."

A nervous shuffle, arms crossed over each other, "And you're sure this is going to help? When we finally go after her?"

Jiwoo smiled, placing her hand on Akane's shoulder in a re-assuring manner, "Akane, darling, trust me, when have I ever failed you?"

Akane souly nodded, walking away from Jiwoo and past Hayoon, who had watched the whole interaction seeming unfazed when in reality she was terrified. She knew about what was going on, but didn't have the guts to stand up to Jiwoo or anyone for that matter.

She was sent to the academy as a spy, not as a person that would have a revolutionary change and come to stop what her mother and Jiwoo wanted to do.

Jiwoo had a room in their home where she did all her shadow stuff, the room was illuminated by blue fire resting on torches, the flames never going out due to a spell Jiwoo had cast for those purposes. In there she would use the shadows to control other people, elementals specifically, in there she would help the elemental soldiers shift and move like shadows.

Like her.

Jeon Jiwoo is an immortal witch who's specialty is black magik, shadow magic specifically, which is why her hair had white in it when no witch had that color in their hair.

She could be terrifying, and has known the twins and Yeonie since they were babies.

Mrs. Eu and Cashel agreed to hand Yeonie over to Akane when they found out she was alive, because they didn't want her in the academy where they knew something could happen to her at the hands of Akida. It's why Jeongyeon has been raised beside the twins by Akane and Jiwoo, Cashel and Mrs. Eu coming to visit sometimes but lately, since the attacks started they haven't. And since Mrs. Eu's death.

Plus, Cashel rarely visited even before the attacks.

He hasn't seen his daughter in 4 years.

Before Hayoon could fall into a deep hole of memories she didn't want, she felt her necklace burn against her skin, her eyebrows furrowing when she realized Songhee was calling out to her again.

She rolled her eyes when she realized it was about the attack at the academy, specifically the death of that girl.

Hayoon stood, avoiding Jiwoo as she walked out of the house, though she couldn't avoid one person.

Her mother.

"Where are you going, Hayoon?" she inquired, leaning against the wall of the house with her arms crossed over her chest, her fox eyes staring into her daughters.

Akane aged like fine wine, she was still one of the most beautiful women Hayoon has ever seen, and she loved her mother more than anything else on Earth.

Hayoon tried to keep her gaze locked with her mothers, but it was difficult, "A walk."

"You've been taking a lot of those lately," Akane commented, moving closer to her daughter. She raised her hand, Hayoon flinching until she felt her mother caress her cheek, "Don't let Jiwoo find out she has that ring, be careful, Hayoon. Be back before dark." she told her, which had Hayoon's eyes glossing over.

"Why aren't you stopping me?" she inquired, thankful her mother wasn't, but still confused.

Akane's expression softened, "I had to watch your father be murdered in front of me. I'm not keeping you away from someone you clearly love, Hayoon. It isn't like she's going to change what we're planning, even if you switch sides." her mother's tone wasn't threatening, it was understanding. "Which I hope you wouldn't, now go."

When Jiwoo met Akane, the female was in the most emotional pain she's ever seen another person in. As a result, Jiwoo took away her hurt at Akane's request. Akane can only feel real love for her children, Jeongyeon, and Jiwoo, everyone else she doesn't care about.

Hayoon nodded, running off towards the academy her father was killed in. Akane watched her go, smiling at the thought of her shadow soulmate who she could see so clearly in their daughter.

<><><>

"It wasn't a warning, I can tell you that much."

"Obviously," Songhee deadpanned, her arms crossed over her chest, "why did it happen?"

Hayoon scoffed, leaning against the railing  like she was the last time, "Why do you think? I assume you guys have figured it out already."

Songhee cleanched her jaw, her eyebrow going up as she glared at Hayoon, "You can't just tell me?"

Hayoon simply shook her head, Songhee throwing her hands in the air, "Thanks for nothing." she muttered, about to go inside until Hayoon took ahold of her wrist and turned her around.

"Can you promise me something?"

Ignoring their proximity and the flush on her cheeks, Songhee said, "Why would I promise you anything?"

"Because it concerns your safety, and theirs," Hayoon began, letting Songhee go, "be careful, you guys are messing in territory you shouldn't be-"

"Come back," Songhee interrupted, walking closer to Hayoon, who stood in place, "come back, you can help us, help us take down-"

"Do you love your mother, Songhee?" Hayoon asked suddenly, Songhee blinking but nodding either way, "Have you met both your parents?" Songhee nodded again.

Hayoon sighed, placing her hands in her pockets, "Akida ripped that chance away from me, her and Malchin, I never met my father, neither did my brother. It hurts when we see our mother cry about him, for him, all because Akida wanted to protect this academy, the people in it, so she hurt her daughter to do it. And when my mother just wanted to end her suffering, Malchin brought her back because he was selfish too-"

"But you wouldn't exist if he didn't," Songhee said, Hayoon shaking her head.

"I wasn't meant to exist, Songhee. My mother wants revenge and is working with an immortal witch to do it. She's not going to stop, ever," there was a shift in Hayoon's dark eyes, almost as if she was struck with realization, "we won't stop."

Songhee just stared at her, nodding curtly before walking away.

Giving Hayoon a taste of her own medicine as she left her standing there.

<><><>

"Jungkook get the door!" Yoongi groaned as he covered his head with a pillow, Jungkook yelling for him to do it as he hid under his covers.

With an aggravated sigh Yoongi got up, stomping over to the door and throwing it open.

Not expecting to see his elder brother on the other side.

"We need to talk."