C2

Ye Jiao finally moved her gaze away from the big rooster. And through the red veil, she looked at the man next to her.

He was at least a head taller than Ye Jiao. Because the veil turned everything into a bright red color, Ye Jiao couldn’t see how he looked.

Ye Jiao subconsciously tightened her grip into a fist as she felt that the man’s hand was a bit too cold.

Qi Yun felt the woman’s subtle movements, and his eyes darkened.

Because he was born with ailments, he has always been in poor health since he was young. Though they expend a lot of effort to raise him well, he has always been sick and now was used to drinking medicine as if he was drinking water.

The doctor said that he would not live past twenty, but because he persists stubbornly, now he is twenty-four.

It was just a few days ago that an ordinary wind and cold almost took his life. Even if he got better afterward, Qi Yun himself knew that his body would not last long.

His mother, Liu-shi, knew this too, so she found him a bride for Chongxi. 

Qi Yun initially disagreed. He knew that whoever marries him would only waste her time. But contrary to his expectation, Liu-shi was extremely efficient. She met Ye Ersao, who was eager to sell her sister-in-law. In the blink of an eye, the marriage was settled. 

On the day of the wedding, with difficulty, Qi Yun struggled to support his sick body. He watched from a distance as a woman clad in a wedding dress was actually being paired with a chicken!

Qi Yun felt that the Ye Family’s wife mistreated her by letting her marry him. If she really were asked to pay her respects with a rooster, probably, there would be no one who would not look down upon her the moment he dies.

However, Qi Yun only kept these thoughts in his heart. And as cold and heartless as it is, he said, “Hold the red silk and kneel down.”

Ye Jiao felt the person loosen his hand, and instead, he put the red silk back into her hand.

The motion of him leading Ye Jiao to kneel down was very gentle, which made Ye Jiao’s affection for him increase, especially after she had been dragged around for a while.

She grasped the red silk tightly, looked at Qi Yun, and knelt down after him.

Worship heaven

Worship the elders

Ye Jiao turned her face slightly as she followed Qi Yun’s movements, albeit a little shakily.

Ye Jiao finally had the chance to take a glimpse of Qi Yun’s face now that they were facing each other.

The red veil made it impossible for Ye Jiao to see his face clearly, but she thought he looked very good, just considering the shape of his eyebrows.

Even better than the scholar that the little fox likes most.

While worshiping each other, Qi Yun heard the first words the woman said to him.

“You look so beautiful.”

Qi Yun was slightly taken aback by this soft and gentle sound.

Before he could bask in her graceful voice, a sudden bout of coldness engulfed his body as beads of cold sweat appeared on his forehead.

It seems that his death is fast approaching. Just coming here and worshipping with Ye Jiao took a toll on his body and left him exhausted. Even mere kneeling and standing were no longer a simple task with his current condition.