6.12

Helena stared at a the CT in front of her, nervously fidgeting as she sighed

Helena stared at a the CT in front of her, nervously fidgeting as she sighed. She was so deep in her thoughts that she barely noticed Arizona entering the room, only turning to look at her as she spoke up.

"Lena, you paged?" She asked.

"Oh, hi, yes!" The brunette jumped slightly, showing her superior the scans. "These are Alice Turner's scans, a six year old girl with polycystic kidney disease. She was diagnosed at birth and has had three laparoscopic cyst removal surgeries, the first one when she was three, all of which I scrubbed in on."

"Alright." Arizona nodded, moving to stare at the scans. "Oh, that's a big one."

"I know... she came in today complaining of pain and vomiting. She's already on dialysis four times a week here at the hospital, I was thinking we might need to remove that cyst, am I right?" The resident sighed, pointing to the largest one.

"Yes, we do. Ideally, we'd get her new kidneys, I mean, you said she's on dialysis four times a week?" The attending asked, Helena nodding.

"Yes, she's already on the transplant list. Though with this new removal... the faster we could get her new ones the better, right? Because these continuous surgeries just put strain on the organs, just damage them more..."

"Absolutely. For now, we should operate. Let's go tell the parents." Arizona agreed, the two women walking out of the room and walking to Alice's.

"So, you know a lot about this patient..." The attending teased, Helena smiling.

"Well, yeah. I've been with little Alice since my intern year, she's adorable. She's so curious, always asking about what we're doing, she even likes to be the one to explain her condition." The resident smiled as she talked. "Her last cyst removal was one of my first solo surgeries, actually. It was a much less delicate cyst, however. Her parents are great too, lovely people."

Watching the younger girl talk about the patient, Arizona smiled fondly, the two of them soon walking into the little girl's room.

"Good morning." Helena smiled as they entered.

"Dr. Lee!" The small girl let out, excitedly, soon taking a hand to her stomach in pain.

"Hi, Alice." The resident smiled at her. "Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Turner."

"Oh, please, how many times have I asked you to call me Hannah?" The woman asked, giving the doctor a smile, just like her husband.

"Alright, Hannah... This is Dr. Robbins, one of the best pediatric surgeons in the country. She will be on Alice's case today." She smiled as the blond shook hands with the parents.

"Hi, Dr. Robbins!" Alice waved, her small hand and high pitched voice making Helena smile. "Dr. Lee, can I explain what I have, please?" She asked, making puppy dog eyes.