8.07

"I'm home, honey

"I'm home, honey. What're you up to?" Mark asked entering his living room, Helena in the couch and Alice sitting by her, pillows all around her.

"Hi, querido!" She smiled up from her book. "I'm just reading this really interesting book out to Ali, she seems to like it when I read to her. Don't you, pequenina?"

"Ta tatata tata." The baby babbled, clapping her hands against each other.

"Yeah, she does, just like her daddy." Mark agreed, sitting by his wife a pressing kissed to both his girls' foreheads. "What are you reading right now?"

"Well, this passage talks about the butterfly effect. You know, how little actions can lead to huge consequences over time." She told him, nuzzling against her husband's chest. "It's sort of fun to think about, about how things could be so different if we hadn't made certain decisions, if we had of hadn't done certain things..."

"You mean the what ifs?" Mark confirmed.

"Exactly." She nodded. "What if?"

——

IF/THEN

Helena woke up in the morning, her alarm blasting by her as she rubbed her eyes. Her hand shot out to turn it off, as she swung her legs off of her bed.

Moving to leave her small room, she knocked on the door that led to the one next to hers, calling out. "Camilla, honey? Time for school, get up."

She moved into the kitchen and began buttering two toasts, yawning, as she heard a little voice call out. "I'm up!"

Making her coffee, Helena moved to water the plant in her countertop, as her seven year old daughter entered the kitchen. "Morning, mama. Oh, can I be the one to water Shrek?"

"Of course, pequenina. Just eat your breakfast after, and don't forget to get your backpack again." The doctor told her, pressing a kiss to her forehead, as she sat down and took a sip of her coffee.

"We should get another plant, so that I can call her Fiona." The girl scrunched up her nose as she watered the plant. "Shrek looks lonely..."

"Or maybe we should give them names that don't come from cartoons." Helena chuckled, taking a bite of her food. As she remembered something, she let out. "Oh, Millie, and don't forget the cardboard you have to take with you today, for the school project. What is it about, after all?"

"I wanted to ask you about that, mama." Camilla told her, sitting on one of the kitchen chairs. "It's a family tree, and Mrs. Miller says we have to draw our mommy, daddy and grandparents. So I was thinking, do you have pictures of daddy?"