8.10

Season 8, episode 20

Helena walked through the crowded airport, wheeling her suitcase behind her as she arrived back home. She yawned as she glanced down at her watch, realizing her shift had just started.

As she spotted Mark and Alice towards the back of the airport, a beam appeared on her face, the girl running towards her family. To Alice's arm, Mark had tied a helium ballon, the girl looking up and smiling at the floating toy.

As she looked down and saw her mother, she called out. "Mama!"

"Hi, baby girl. I missed you!" Helena smiled, picking up her baby as she pressed a kiss to Mark's lips. "Hi, querido."

"Hi, honey. How was it? Did LA Children's love you?" Mark asked, picking up Helena's suitcase as they started to walk away.

"I think so, actually. They offered me Student Loan forgiveness, they said they'd cover moving expenses and they'd give me some money for my own research." She smiled, excitedly, as Alice played with her necklace.

"Of course they did." Mark smiled. "Between the Africa Program, the double residency, the groundbreaking surgeries you've scrubbed in on and working with Robbins, everyone wants you."

At that, the resident blushed a bit as she smiled. "Oh, about that, don't forget that in five days I have the Stanford interview. You don't have to come pick me up though, I'm gonna be flying so much in the next few weeks that you can't possible come get me every time."

Narrowing his eyes as if he's just been challenged, Mark warned. "Yes, I can. Watch me."

——

"Oh, this is getting ridiculous." April complained as the twisted trio entered the resident's lounge. In Cristina and Helena's arms were two big gift baskets, sent to them by hospitals trying to recruit them for their fellowship. A proud smile was on the small girl's lips, a slight bump beginning to appear under her scrub top.

"The NIH?" Jackson questioned, reading Cristina's card. "Since when does the NIH bribe residents to come work for them?"

"Oh, they don't. Except when you're me, a God." The woman shot back, Helena giggling.

"What about you?" Meredith asked.

"Boston Children's." Helena smiled, unwrapping the gift basket and excitedly picking up a box of chocolates, putting one in her mouth. "From the card, seems like they really want me. In my interview they even offered me a fully staffed research lab."