13.08

"You suspended Meredith

"You suspended Meredith." Helena stated, sitting in front of Bailey, in her office.

"I did." She nodded, putting down the pen she'd been using, sitting behind her desk.

"You suspended Meredith, and now you're asking for my help? You're asking me to help get the attendings to cooperate with Minnick?" She furrowed her brows, in disbelief.

"I... I am, yes." She exhaled.

"No!" She let out, almost a bit annoyed. "You suspended Meredith! You suspended her for backing Webber!"

"I didn't suspend her for backing Webber." Miranda corrected, with a sigh. "I suspended her for refusing to let Minnick into her OR. I had to make an example of it."

"Oh, come on." Helena tilted her head. "You needed to have known this was going to be a hard transition."

"So help me make it easier!" Bailey almost pleaded, placing her hands in front of her. "Look, I know you don't disagree with Minnick's method. You've been letting her into your OR. All I'm asking is that you get the others to do the same. People like you, they listen to you. If you ask them to do it, they will."

"No." Helena simply shrugged. "No, I won't do that. And, yes, I think Minnick's method could have worked. Could, if it had been implemented in a different way. Now, it's too late. It's not happening. I mean, come on, we both know that the problem here isn't that you want us to try a new teaching method, it's how you handled the whole situation."

"I'm sorry?" Bailey's eyes widened at the insinuation.

"Look, I'm not trying to point any fingers, Bailey." The younger doctor sighed, attempting to explain herself. "I'm just saying that if you had made the transition more gradual, it could have worked. If you had gotten Minnick to work with Webber, instead of having her take over. If you'd talked to Richard about him stepping down before he had to find out through his substitute. If you'd managed to find a middle ground between the two methods, because, sure, let's make our teaching more hands on, but we also can't throw the residents to the wolves and expect them to come back leading the pack! Then, it could have worked. Now, it's too late. Because even if you apologize and try to reinstate Richard, alongside Eliza, there's no way they'd agree to work together. Richard is too offended and Eliza is feeling antagonized. And it's not fair on anyone. It's not fair on Richard, who you, and I'm telling you this as a friend, seriously disrespected. It's not fair on Eliza, who's job is being made so much harder. It's not fair on the residents, that are missing out on what could have been a great new method. And it's certainly not fair on Meredith Grey, who you suspended for taking a stand!"

At that, Bailey nodded slowly, almost taking in the information. Looking at her, Helena could tell she understood what she meant. She knew Bailey regretted how she'd handled the situation.

What she also knew was that Bailey was not going to go back on her decision. She wouldn't risk being discredited, not after having fought so hard to become Chief. Not unless she had run out of options.