12.10

Helena jogged to the ER, quickly approaching the metal shelves that held the yellow trauma gowns and pulling one on

Helena jogged to the ER, quickly approaching the metal shelves that held the yellow trauma gowns and pulling one on. Not even tying the back of the gown, she grabbed a pair of gloves to put on, before approaching April, who talked to two women by the nurses station.

"I-I got paged 911?" The brunette doctor asked, as she put her gloves on. "We have a GSW on a kid?!"

"Wait, GSW on a kid?" One of the women turned around. "Is that our kid?"

"Campos, let's move." Owen let out, as he approached the surgeon. "We have an incoming GSW, victim's eight years old."

"Oh my God!" The other woman turned around.

"Our kids are both eight years old. Which one is it?" The redhead mother asked, in panic.

"Which one of our sons has been shot?" The brunette  mother repeated.

"Ma'am, we'll know more soon. But right now..." Owen started, beginning to tie the back of Helena's gown.

"Right now, we really need to get to work and we'll let you know more as soon as we can." Helena nodded, turning as Owen tapped her shoulder, to indicate he had finished, then jogging out of the door.

As she reached the ambulance bay, the brunette took a deep breath, peaking around the corner, in anticipation of the ambulance. Swallowing hard, the doctor bit her lower lip. It seemed both cruel and terrifying that a child had been shot.

Hearing several feet approaching her from behind, Helena turned around to see that a small crowd of doctors had formed.

"Everyone, I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it, but all I need right now are Hunt, Wilson and maybe Cardio and Neuro." She explained, speaking loud enough so that she could be heard even over the sound of the ambulance sirens. "We all know how a crowd can make our job harder, so if you're not needed, please feel free to go."

As the ambulance pulled into the bay, the two mothers attempted to move through the line of doctors, Webber and Bailey keeping them out of the way.

With a jog, the team of doctors responsible for the case approached the ambulance, the paramedic informing. "Eight-year-old male, GSW to the abdomen. Stable after 500cc bolus NS."

"Thank you." Helena nodded, as the doctors began the initial assessment. Quickly moving through the crowd, they surgeons wheeled the small boy into the hospital, as the woman in charge announced. "Coming through."

By the wall, one of the mothers hugged their child, as the other sobbed into Webber's arms.

——

"Brandon's injuries are severe." Helena explained to the mothers, one of them holding her son in front of her. "He is being prepped for surgery right now."

"The bullet hit the spinal cord, so at the moment we are evaluating-" Amelia started.

However, she was interrupted as a young woman approached the group, letting out. "Patty!"