12.09

Helena Campos glanced down at her pager when it pinged, pulling the pink sleeves of the NICU gown out of the way and soon after clipping it back to her scrub pants

"Code pink." She exhaled, turning to a nearby intern, who leaned against the small counter with all the computers. "Alright." She announced, as she circled around the room to count all the babies, alarms beginning to sound throughout the peds floor. "Little stomach bag guy, esophageal atresia, pulmonary sequestration, spina bifida boy, spina bifida girl and teratoma cutie. Everyone's here." The surgeon smiled in relief.

"Dr. C, it says here that the code is for a six year old kid, not an infant." The intern announced, reading from her tablet.

"So, code pink lesson number one. If someone is stealing babies, you count all the babies."

"Right." She nodded, as if admitting it made sense.

Going back to checking the nearest baby's vitals, Helena smiled to herself as the alarms stopped. However, she was forced to stop soon enough, as her pager sounded again.

At that, her face dropped, going into game-mode. "Alright, everyone, listen up." The NICU stopped to listen to the doctor, who looked around at her team. "We have a little one coming in bad shape. Crash-c, mom and baby lost a lot of blood. I don't know any more, so let's be ready for anything, alright? That means equipment, personnel and a station all set up in the next few minutes, so let's be quick and efficient. Please and thank you!"

——

"She's not oxygenating. Page cardio and neuro, please." Helena shook her head, taking her stethoscope out of her ears, as she spoke to the NICU nurse. Then, she turned to the resident that had brought the baby with him. "Speak to me, Ben. How old is this baby? How far along was she?"

"Uh, 33... no, 34 weeks, I think." He muttered, cleared a bit shaken up, as he crossed his arms.

"Was she preeclamptic? Diabetic? Was there evidence of an abruption or a-a previa?" Helena asked, as she worked on intubating the little one.

"No, I mean, yeah. It was a delayed abruption, or seemed to be. She was hypotensive..." The resident let out.

"Is there a history of Rh incompatibility? Something?" She waited for a moment, as she worked, before insisting. "Warren, I need to know what I'm dealing with, here. Is there anything you can tell me?" As the monitors began beeping, Helena exhaled. "He's bradying down..."

"The mom abrupted. She needed an emergent c-section."

"So you did it in the middle of the hallway?!" Helena let out at him, a bit annoyed, with the worry of saving the newborn. "What were you thinking?"