9.08

"D-do I really have to?" Helena scrunched up her face, gently being pushed by Cahill to in front of a backdrop

"Just smile, it'd be over before you know it." Alana told her, the camera starting to flash in front of Helena. At that, the small girl smiled, her eyes a bit widened and panicked. "Ok, great, just maybe look less like a deer in the headlights?"

Trying to relax her face, Helena smiled a bit more naturally, her dimples coming out. Then, she turned to the woman. "Look, Dr. Cahill, respectfully, I really don't wanna be the... what do you call it?"

"Brand ambassador! And you haven't been appointed yet. You're just a very strong contender." She argued, as the camera kept flashing. "Young, good looking, good with kids... Just what the buyers want."

"Can I go now?" The short girl tried. "I have surgery, my actual job."

"Fine, but you're gonna have some public relations reps following you around tomorrow."

"Ok, yeah, fine, just... I have GERD surgery to get done." She smiled uncomfortably, leaving the room.

——

"Brand ambassador?" Mark questioned, his brows furrowing. "What does that even mean?"

"I have no idea. Just that it requires a lot of pictures and smiling. Probably takes time away from actual surgery..." She sighed, flipping through her book in their couch. Then, she gasped, slamming it shut and looking at her husband.

"No, Lee, no." Mark shook his head, raising a finger. "I don't know what you're thinking, but you have that evil glint in your eyes that tells me it's not good."

"Mark." She started, her face dead serious. "It's a job that requires pictures.  And smiling. You like taking pictures and smiling."

"Oh." Mark let out, tilting his head. "I do like taking pictures and smiling."

"If they really want a Sloan, let's give them a Sloan. At least I will be free."

——

"So I assume you're familiar with the case, Edwards?" Helena questioned, the intern nodding.

"Yes, were on Brian. Transgender patient in for mastectomy." Stephanie nodded, as they entered the room.

At the sight in front of them, Helena froze. Mark was posing with the boy and his girlfriend, a photographer giving some instruction. "Great. Now if you could just move a little closer to her... to him."

"Oh, I-I'm the him, she's the her." The patient explained. "Well, I was born a her and Jess as a him, I get it's confusing..."