2.17

As the interns were in the Chief's office, Helena waited outside, bouncing her leg up and down

As the interns were in the Chief's office, Helena waited outside, bouncing her leg up and down. She hadn't been called in, as she has been the one to page Bailey. As they left the room, Helena asked them. "What happened?"

"There's no surgeries for us until we come clean." Meredith explained.

"I will go back and tell him. I will tell him it was me." Izzie gave in.

"And get kicked out of the program? You will keep your mouth shut. We all will keep our mouths shut." Meredith turned to Alex.

"Izzie?" The short girl talked to the woman for the first time since the incident. "I want you to know I won't turn you in. I paged Bailey because Denny's life was in danger, because he is our patient. Now that no one's life is on the line, I won't turn you in." As the blond simply kept walking, the brunette called out. "Izzie?"

At that, the blond turned to face her, suddenly. "Don't talk to me. You paged Bailey, behind all of our backs, you paged Bailey." All their friends looked at the two, shocked.

"Izzie, Denny was dying!" Helena replied, somewhat taken aback by the blond's reaction. She knew that Izzie might be mad, what she couldn't understand was how she still stood by her decision. "You were about to be responsible for a patient's death and we had not way of stopping it! We were all in over our heads in there, don't you think it would have been worse if Bailey hadn't shown up when she did?" The girl was still incredulous at her friend's hostility.

"We could have saved him, we could have gotten him his heart! You ruined everything, you betrayed me." She yelled at her friend, mad as she'd ever seen her.

"Izzie! Do you seriously believe we could have saved him? I'm sorry, but you're deluded." Helena shook her head, not understanding how her friend could truly believe what she'd just said. Her friend's words pained her, but she knew she'd been right in what she'd done.

"For all I care you can rot in hell." The blond stormed out, as her friends looked at the short girl, who still seemed to be processing what had just happened.

"So, anyone else mad at me for trying to save a patient's life?" She asked, looking at her friends that nodded negatively. Gulping, tears starting to well up her eyes. "Good."

As the young intern turned to leave, Meredith and Cristina followed her. "You ok there, Baby Einstein?"

"Yeah, I... yeah, I mean, I stand by my decision." She muttered still shaken up. "You know what the most ridiculous thing is?" Meredith shook her head. "One of the reasons why I paged Bailey was to protect Izzie, because I didn't want her to be responsible for the man she loved dying." She smiled sadly, attempting to keep tears at bay. "And now she hates me, so... you know, everything is just great."

——

Helena looked at her hands as she sat in front of the Chief, who was questioning her. He stared at her, waiting for her to speak.