3.06

Helena sat with George as the boy read his father's chart

Helena sat with George as the boy read his father's chart. The man had been admitted the previous night, so the girl had spent the night at the hospital in order to keep her friend company.

"Today is the day, people." Meredith entered the room with all the other interns. "Today is the day dark and twisty Meredith disappears forever and bright and shiny Meredith takes her case."

"Mer." Helena whispered in a warning, not being heard.

"Your probably not gonna wanna be friends with me anymore because the sheer intensity of my happiness is gonna make your teeth hurt. Except for Helena, she likes happy. But that's ok, because life is good." She put her bag in her locker.

"Meredith." The brunette called out again, making the blond turn around.

"What's going on?"

"George's dad was admitted last night." Izzie explained.

"Oh my god, is he ok?" Her face fell.

"Yes, he's fine." George reassured.

"He passed out, hit the floor and fractured his clavicle." Helena told her friend.

"But his clavicle is fine. Callie says he's fine."

"He's also complaining of severe abdominal pain." The short girl added.

"He doesn't have peritoneal signs." Cristina pointed out, reading the chart.

"That's good." Alex nodded along, just as Bailey entered the locker room.

"Has anybody seen...?" Noticing her presence, George turned around and gave her his father's chart.

"Just looking at it." He said, sounding guilty.

"Don't you think me reading it is more important than me reading it?" The resident asked. "You're on scut today, you're gonna be distracted. Family members do not treat family members: scut."

"I'm scrubbing in on a surgery with Dr. Burke this morning." Cristina explained, braiding her hair as Helena pulled hers into a low bun.

"Of course you are." The resident pointed out as Helena and Meredith shared a look.

"Karen, Sloan. Grey and Campos, pit. Stevens, shadow Karev. And let me remind you again of the rules of your probation."

Izzie sighed as Alex spoke up. "I think she knows the rules, Dr. Bailey."

"No touching patients, no talking to patients." Izzie rolled her eyes. "No rolling your eyes at patients or your superiors."

Helena and Meredith left the room, turning to go to the ER.

——

George and Bailey walked down the hallway as the boy talked to her. "I don't see why I can't at least help with my dad's endoscopy."