11.07

"You paged 911?" Bailey asked, entering the scrub room Helena was now in

"Yes, I needed someone from general. Here's the plan." Helena explained, putting on her mask. "We're gonna embolize the tumor to see if we can reverse the effects on the mom's circulation. If not, then-"

"Where's Herman?" The other woman asked, as she did the same.

"The patient's platelet count is critically low, so we need to give her six packs of platelets to avoid liver capsule bleeding." Helena kept going, as if reciting the plan would somehow dissipate her anxiety. "And then we'll perform the fetoscopy to reverse the cascade..."

"Y-you keep saying we, but I only see you. Where the hell is Herman?"

"I. I, not we. Herman's not... she's not coming."

"What do you mean, she's not coming?" Bailey was clearly confused, her voice becoming higher pitched.

"She's in surgery, Bailey. She's in surgery, with Amelia. In her surgery." She explained, scrubbing her hands more vigorously. "So I'm doing this surgery. I'm doing it myself."

——

"The baby's anemic." Helena announced, as she operated. "Let's transfuse her. 40 milliliters of irradiated PRBC, please."

"Lena, we need to get in and out. Hannah's pressure is through the roof." Bailey told her.

"But if we don't stop this bleeding, her baby will die. The idea is to save both of them." She told her former resident. "And I think I can do it."

In her head, she heard Herman reprimanding her.

'You think, or you know?'

"I know it." Helena corrected herself, shaking her head. "I know I can save them both."

"Lena, I respect you and consider you a friend, so it's with kindness that I tell you that you're only half a fetal surgeon, not even. You're half a fellow." The woman warned.

"Bailey, I know what I'm doing. I've had all that Dr. Herman knows pounded into my brain. My hands are her hands." She explained, then requesting. "22 gauge needle, please."

——

"It's not working..." Helena exhaled. "I can't embolize all the vessels like this."

'I hand picked you, and you are letting me down.'

"I need to open her up." Helena decided, with a decisive nod.