10.10

S10, E21

S10, E21

"Good morning." Helena smiled softly, approaching Arizona at the nurses station. "We're going in on Frankie today, right? With Russel?"

"Yeah. How are you, Lena?" The blond woman asked.

"I'm fine." She nodded. "I was happy just to be nominated."

She was not, in fact, fine. She'd gone home as soon as possible, and had the panic attack she'd been feeling coming on all day in Mark's arms. She'd cried and she'd stayed up most night, because she felt like a failure, like she'd let everyone down.

But she'd pulled herself together. She'd reminded herself of how amazing it was that she was nominated in the first place. And, now, she was trying to convince herself everything would be ok.

"You know, you should have won. Either you or Yang, it was supposed to have been one of you. You deserved it." The blond nodded.

"It's... it's what it is, I guess." She shrugged.

Helena could understand if Cristina had won. She could, because she genuinely thought that their projects were equally as good.

What she couldn't understand was how neither of them had, after everyone had told them they were the front runners. After everyone had treated them like they'd already won, even their competition.

——

"Good morning, everyone." Helena smiled under her mask, entering the OR, for the surgery scheduled for before Frankie's heart transplant.

"Good morning, Dr. Campos." Russel let out. "Have you heard anything about Yang, yet?"

"No, not yet. She must still be asleep, I'm guessing." She smiled, trying to hide the fact she knew how hard her person had taken the loss.

"Tough loss last night, Campos." He told her. "Must have stung. Better luck next time."

Something in the head of cardio's tone wasn't genuine, it was almost as if he was happy she hadn't gotten the Harper Avery. It was almost as if he was gloating, his jealousy clear.

"Oh, it was an honor just to be nominated. Not many people are. Especially if you consider I was the youngest nominee ever... well, not many people can say that, can they, Dr. Russel?" Helena shot back, her tone now colder and more unforgiving.

Helena tried to be as nice as possible, but she didn't let people walk all over her. She stood her ground, and that's how she'd gotten this far, despite people's doubts.

"N-no, I guess not." He muttered.

"Alright, people." Helena turned to her OR staff, her voice once again soft. "Let's change a life, today. Ten blade, please."

——

Helena sat with Meredith and Derek in an exam room, a burrito in her hand, the man looking at a head CT.