Sacrificial Pawn

Nejis pov

I stared at myself in the mirror with a sad smile. This is the day I will die.

You see my family believes in a certain god and to appease that god they randomly sacrifice a branch member once a year. Unfortunately it's my turn.

"neji you look wonderful" my uncle walked up behind me and stroked my hair "they've done a wonderful job on you. Our Lord will be very pleased with you"

I looked away. How could he not be sad? I'm sixteen years old and being forced to die at the hands of my own family!

He forced me to look at him "be proud child. Dying for our lord is a great honor"

"I understand" I said as I tried not to cry.

"good" he said as he handed me a candle "now come. It is time"

I had to mask my fear with a smile as I walked out towards the stand. They'll force me on my knees and slit my throat so that my blood can please our god. I wonder if it will hurt. Probably. I can't imagine they'll care.

I held my head high as I stepped onto the stand. I won't show them that I'm scared!

The executioner stood there with the holy knife used to kill countless lives before me. I remember how my father was killed by that same knife. I suppose it is kinda poetic that I ended up the same way as him.

I placed the candle down and took a step forward when an egg was thrown at the executioners face, blinding him.

"nii-chan!" I turned around to see hinata "please run. Save yourself!"

As if something took over my body I ran. I ran into the woods and I never looked back...