An Intruder In the Barn

Shikamarus pov

I let out a loud sigh. Most people say that the life of a farmer is great. Well those people are wrong! Tending to animals all day is nothing but a pain in my-

I stopped at the sound of someone tripping and falling. It was coming from our family barnhouse. Odd. There shouldn't be anyone around here. Did mom get hurt while feeding the deers? Shit I better go check.

I ran up to the barn and threw the doors open. I expected to see my mother but instead I was met with the frightened eyes of a young boy.

The boy was small with pale skin littered with dark purple burses and scars. It looked like he was being beaten on a daily basis! He had long brown hair that reached his waist and those blank looking eyes. He looked like a delicate doll that could break if not careful..

"w-who's there" he whimpered "please leave me alone!"

I slowly approach the boy as to not frighten him. He seems to be listening out for my footsteps. What the heck? Can't he see-

Then it hit me. Those blank eyes. He's blind isn't he?

"it's ok darling I won't hurt you" I said in a reassuring tone. My voice seemed to calm the boy slightly. "what are you hiding from?"

He averted his eyes "bad people. I'm sorry its too painful to speak of.

"that's ok" I said softly "do you have any family I can contact sweetheart?"

"umm well-" he was cut off by the barn doors slamming open. We turned around to see my parents.

"who's this" dad gestured over to the boy.

"I don't really know his name" I muttered "but it looks like someone's hurting him. He also seems to be blind"

"blind?" my mother's eyes softened "the poor child. He probably doesn't even know where he is"

She took a step forward. The boy yelped and clung to me.

"there's no need to be afraid my darling" mom said softly "let me take you inside. You must be freezing out here"

"it is quite cold" the boy mumbled as he reached towards mom. She gently took his hand and led him inside.

I sighed. Looks like things are going to get a little more interesting...