Quiet, Once Again

" In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sasaki (Kaneki) POV

Me and Touka were dropped off outside of Re, Vin gave us a small wave goodbye and drive off. The entire city was silent, not a sound. It was quite peaceful right now, though if you think about it, it'd just been so noisy earlier.

Touka walks to the door and opens the door, closing her eyes and breathing in some of the scent with a small and happy smile. She turns to me shyly. I haven't told her about the problems I had going on in my head during that fight, and I don't plan to. If I can keep Touka away from me, maybe she'll lose interest and keep living her life normally.

"Thank you again for saving me, Haise." She said.

I smile. "Anytime. Besides..." I look down the street and put my hands in my pockets. I wave behind me as I walk away.

"We at Anteiku help each other out." I mumbled, I gentle smile going to my face, leaving a puzzled looking Touka.

My life from now on will be a mess, I won't deny that. Both my memories and personalities being mashed together suddenly, I know I'm Kaneki, but also Haise... so who am I more of?

I sigh. I guess it doesn't matter. I promised Sasaki, or myself, that I'd live both our lives, one as a dove, and one as a ghoul... but maybe... if I have the time.

I can live as a human too.

Just as I'm reaching a climax of happiness, someone taps me on the shoulder. I quickly turn to find someone I wasn't expecting.

Levin looked confused, seeing me in broad daylight. "Haise? Where have you guys been? Did your plan work?" He asked quickly, looking down the street at Re.

"Yeah, we got Touka, no sweat." I said, making him sigh and put his hands behind his back.

He looked up at the gray sky. "Jeez. Vin makes me worry too much." He said, making an annoyed face.

"Yeah. But what are you doing out in the city at this hour? It's 3 o clock in the morning!" I said, looking at my watch.

He laughs nervously. "I... uh... was meeting with someone... that's all..." he mumbled.

"A date? With Kuro?" I asked, tilting my head.

Levin flinched, almost as he'd been jump scared in a haunted house at a festival. "N-No! It was just a friend! J-Just a friend! A-And why would I go on a-a-a date with Kurona?!?" He yelled, bursting all at once. His face was beet red, he riveted back and forth nervously.

"Well, you like her, don't you? That's what I heard Vin say, at least." I explained, trying to calm him down.

"Vin! That bastard! Kurona is only a friend! Yeah... only... a friend..." Levin trails off, looking at the ground with a sad face for a split second, then it's instantly turned back to a normal blank one.

"So, where are you heading? Home?" He asked me.

I scratched my head. "I honestly don't know. Maybe I'll stop for tea or something." I said.

Levin looked at his clock on his phone and smiled, looking up at me and slapping me on the shoulder, pulling me along the street. "Then your treating me! C'mon, I know a place!" He said, practically dragging me down ghe street.

Kids these days...

Vincent POV

As I got home, instantly Rize is asking me questions about the situation. She won't stop nagging me!

"Where are the Yasuhisa twins?" I asked, looking around. I instinctively went first to look for them at the nursery, but I remember that Nashiro is fine now. "And Levin?"

Rize twiddles her fingers. "The twins are in their rooms, and..."

Huh? For a second, I thought I saw Rize look genuinely sad for a moment. I tilt my head and wait for her to finish, but she doesn't answer as clearly as I wanted her to be.

"... Levin's out somewhere." She said, looking away from my glare. Well, he is old enough to go out himself, but still... he needs to a bit more cautious about this city, he's already gotten in enough trouble.

I sit down at my usual spot, at the monitors. "Then get outta here, your annoying-"

"I want your input on something." Rize said suddenly, flushed a bit.

My eyebrows furrow as I nod for her to ask me what she wants. I need to get to work and I have no time for this right now-

"What does it feel like to... F-Fall in love?" She asked quickly.

"I beg your pardon?" I asked bluntly, not understanding that these words were coming from Rize's mouth.

She waits earnestly for an answer, staring me directly into my eyes. I know for a fact that she doesn't like a thing about me, so it can't be me. Then who is she-?

. . .

Oh.

I smirk. "Well, if you want an input on that subject, then your gonna have to ask someone else, I'm not interested in those things." I said cool like and turned around in my spinning chair to the monitors, starting to work instantly.

Rize lingers for awhile, then turns and walks away.

Jeez, Levin...

Just what type of magic did you use?