Different

Another pic of Levin. I love the art style too. I do not own this!

"Human relationships are like chemical reactions. If you have a reaction then you can never return back to your previous state of being."
- Kaneki Ken (Tokyo Ghoul)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Akira POV

The entire courtyard was silent. All that had happened was a few shifting in movement, and the deadly stare of that monster aimed at us now.

I thought that I'd be ready, that I'd finally be able to kill it when I encountered it again. But when I look at it now, it's much too powerful for me.

I grit my teeth and take a step back, the other two doing the same. The Owl giggled in that demonic way it has.

"Its okay to be scared." It said, it's voice chilling along the yard, sending vibes of danger to my brain that makes me want to run.

Behind us, the lab was falling apart, part of the labs have started to collapse, and Windows shattering, spraying glass everywhere in the streets and inner yards.

Owl began to traverse towards us, one step at a time, each step making me shudder. I couldn't get a grip, I couldn't even move. I ran my people straight into the lions den, and now I'm gonna pay the price.

I close my eyes shut tight, and try not to listen to its laughing. Suddenly, I feel a hand on my shoulder, I turn to see Shirazu, his face looked grim, but he gave me a nod.

Did he want to try and run? It would catch us for sure. What was the point of fighting if we're going to get slaughtered anyway? There's... just no point.

I heard footsteps behind me, and I look, and I'm shocked to find the one known as Floppy standing there. He had dirt covering him, shards of glass impaled into him, even a metal bar stuck in his thigh.

He held on a stomach wound he probably got from the Crow, but he was still standing. He took a step forward, and clenched his fists, standing in front of me and the other two.

"You obviously didn't learn anything from your time as an investigator..." He said, his voice filter was more messed up, some of his real deep voice leaked through.

He grabbed the metal bar in his leg and pulled it out, and took another step forward towards Owl. What was this ghoul doing? Was he trying to protect us?

"Even if your limbs are cut off..." He said, "you keep fighting."

My heart hammered. I felt shocked, and I couldn't breath. Those words have only ever come out of one man I knew. And this "Floppy", his body shape, his voice...

It couldn't be...

Floppy took another step forward, this made Owl laugh.

"Ah! The prodigy returns! How are you doing Kotaro?" Owl said, sounding pleased to see him.

I stared up at Floppy, no... Amon.

I should've seen it before. But how is he alive? He's a ghoul? Was he always a ghoul? No, that's impossible. What happened to him during that raid four years ago?

As a swirl of emotions and questions rise, Shirazu hauls me up along with Mutsuki and runs for the outer walls, seeming to think this a chance to run.

Amon doesn't say anything, he doesn't look back at me. I stare at his back as we leave the courtyard, feeling that I wouldn't see him for a long time once again.

But...

I couldn't help but let out a small sob of joy.

Ayato POV