Thanks for the Memories

"Put yourself in my shoes! When rabbits get lonely, they can die!"
- Hideyoshi Nagachika

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaneki POV

I remember going through a dark hall. My thoughts I couldn't control, and my body ached with pain. Blood dripped from my body as I walked, and fell over again and again.

At one point a voice rang out, and a kind looking man came out of the darkness of the tunnel that had felt so lonely before.

I remember his words, trying to convince me everything was going to be okay, that we should "Go home already".

No. He couldn't be real. Hide wouldn't like how I was, I was a ghoul. A monster. Something humans detest, and hate. Beings that are above humans on the food chain, it's only natural for them to hate us.

I would know, I once was one.

But I just stood there and stared at him, my mind still not accepting Hide was really there or not. But it is then that he smiled and me, and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Kaneki... I... I want to save you." He said, then gave me a determined look. "Please eat me."

I froze, and I could just push out words of protest, even though I thought he wasn't real. "Hide... what are you saying?" I mumbled.

"What lies ahead is a very dangerous man, from this there is no escape." He said, sweat dripping from his forehead. "You know... after you lose, you could die. That's why..."

He started to trail off, but picked back up before I could say anything. "You must show him you are worth keeping alive. Can you... with all your strength... fight one last time?"

. . .

Hide. How could I forget such an important piece of my memories? Was my conscience pulling it back, because it was painful? Or was I secretly still scared of what might happen if I did remember fully?

But even so... I now know. What happened, and what I'm going to do from this day out.

Before me, I shake out of my daze, the Quinx in front of me, seemingly getting ready to take advantage of my confusion from a moment ago.

I look down at my hands, squeezing them together tightly, then with a large breath, I look right at them. On my comms, voices call out to me, telling me to escape now, that they were leaving.

Akira raised an eye brow at my behavior, she probably expected me to start going nuts...

I suddenly jump up on the roof, away from them. Urie calls out as I turn away from them, heading to the back.

"Kaneki! We're not done yet!" He yelled.

I stopped and glanced back. "Thanks for the memories, Mado." He said.

Akira looked confused, but I didn't push on the subject any more than I had to. I turned once again and ran to the back.

Levin POV

"Shut up! Your lying!" I yelled, backing off a bit more, nearly tripping because of my shock.

What did he mean by that?! Arima has to be lying, he's a member of V, he's just trying to provoke me. Besides, I heard the gun shots and the fighting as I left the house that day, they definitely killed him!

Arima's face didn't change. "So you saw the body?" He asked.

"Shut up!" I said, swiping my Kakuja talon at him, which he dodged and now stood on top of a burnt car that was destroyed by the earlier grenades.