A Normal Errand

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."
- Confucius

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"An errand?" I asked, confused at this request.

Vincent spun around in his chair, and stopped facing me. He looked like he'd just woke, sleep was in his eyes and he spoke in a groggy tone.

"Just do it for me, please." he mumbled.

I sighed. "Fine, I need to stretch my legs anyway." I said. It's been a friggin week since I've been here in the Nest. I feel like a caged bird, this is the first time Vincent is allowing me to go outside, I'll take the chance even if it's for an errand.

"Good, just follow this map and get the materials. It shouldn't be that hard." He said, rubbing his bridge to his nose.

I nod and head to the door, and I hear Vincent call my name, i turn to him before walking out. He gave me a serious look.

"Don't let them know what you are. A lot of people would want you dead or a living experiment. Keep your head low." He instructed.

"Yeah yeah, old man." I said hurriedly. I heard him say something about only being in his early thirties, but I ignored him. As soon as i stepped outside, the fresh air hit me and i took a big whiff of it.

I suddenly hear the door swing open behind me, I turn to find Kurona stepping out, her blank face looked at me. We stood for a long time without talking.

"Old fart said to go with you." She said in her monotone voice.

I smile. "I could do with the company."

She looks at the ground. "I'd rather be with sis..."

He have a short nervous laugh. I think she'll take time to get used to, she's the type to only care for her family, I'm not of any importance to her, I'm just a stranger.

We start to walk with me in the front, I follow the map as Kurona is behind me, which is kind of creepy, she's practically looking over my shoulder to look at the map.

We turn on a street towards the highway. Cars zoomed by as we kept walking, it was awkward, neither one of us said a word, but i knew there was nothing to talk about. She didn't want anything to do with me, it made me kind of sad.

I stop at the location, soon we got to a spot where barely any cars drove, but the problem was... the trail ended at an end of a street. I glance around, confused, was Vincent messing with me? But I look at Kurona, she's pointing down the hill. I walk up next to her and look down, and I can't see anything, the tree's are in the way.

"What's down there?-" I start, but she's already heading down a slope, being careful with her footing. I follow cautiously, I'm getting a bad feeling about this...

And i was right to have a bad feeling, as soon as we got down there, I felt sick to my stomach, I held my stomach, trying my best to hide my disgust from Kurona.

Down the fall we had looked down from was body after body. Five in total. "What the hell..." I said.

Kurona walked up to the corpses and began to drag one, I grab her shoulder, stopping her. "Where are you taking that!" I said.

She still had a blank face on, she pointed down in the forest, there was a truck. It was rather large, I could tell it was a meat locker in the storage area... to keep the corpses cold.

"How the..?" I look at Kurona in question.

She sighs. "We gather the bodies, drive them back to the Nest, then someone drive it back here, so it can wait for the next batch." She looked down at the dead. It made me flinch when she said next batch. How can she talk about them that way?