Unexpected Friendship

" The only way to have a friend is to be one."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ayato POV

I watch Levin and Tsukiyama leave to a cafe. I don't trust that weirdo, he gives off a vibe of uncertainty that I don't like. But I'm not one to voice my opinion on him, so I'll let it slide.

I start to walk down the street, but a hand catches my sleeve. I turn my head to see my sis, a stern expression on her face. For a moment, neither of us say anything.

Then I decide to speak. "How're you doing?" I mumbled a question.

Touka seemed a bit surprised by this question, but nodded slightly. "I'm good... I guess."

There was another long silence. Now that I was out of Aogiri, a part of me thought I could rekindle a bond with my sister again. But then I remembered all I had done to her, and told myself that was impossible.

Now that I remember, Hinami is inside Re right now, but I didn't see her. That is probably a good thing. I don't deserve to be by such a nice girl like her.

"I guess I'll be going." I said quickly, turning again, but my sis ended up pulling harder on my sleeve, not letting go. I look over my shoulder to see her have a stubborn face.

That face, looked a lot like when we took in that baby bird. It was hurt and Touka wouldn't give up on asking pops to take it in and nurse it. Back then I admired her because of that, but...

Now that I see her giving me this look, I think my defenses are breaking faster than I'd hoped. Ever since I started talking with Levin this started to happen. I've become soft!

"Let talk... I haven't talked with my little brother in a long time." She said, looking me in the eyes.

For a moment my mouth hung open in surprise, but I closed it and nodded slightly. "Sure... I'd like that."

Levin POV

"I see... so your in a tough spot." Tsukiyama said, looking out the window, then looking down in his cup of coffee, spinning the liquid inside while thinking.

We had come to a cafe and I told him about my... situation. I don't know if this was the right thing to do, but I felt as if I need to vent on someone, and Tsukiyama was offering.

He stopped spinning his cup in his hand and sighed, sitting back in his chair. "That is a rather troubling problem, indeed... a ten percent chance to save someone you care for..." he trailed off.

"I don't know if it's worth it. I told her the risks, and I gave them a doctor to perform it, I even supplied my kagune samples for it. But I'm still not sure." I said, looking down in the latte art done in the coffee, it was of a flower, I couldn't tell which flower it was though.

Tsukiyama sees what I'm looking at and smiles. "Do you like flowers?" He asked suddenly.

"Flowers...?" I wonder out loud, then look down at the cup and the flower at done in it. "I suppose I do." I mumbled.

"What is your favorite flower?" He asked, folding his hands together.

I frown and think hard about it. This was going off topic, but if it was distracting me from the mood that I'm in, then I'm okay with it.

"I suppose... I like Tulips. Their simple and stand firm." I said, looking out the window, the signs of spring already starting to show from plants growing once again.

Tsukiyama smiled. "Of course. Did you know each floor had a meaning to it? Sometimes they have several. Want to know what a Tulip means?" He asked.

I slowly nod, getting slightly interested.

He smiled and looked out the window. "Caring... Forgiveness... thoughts of friends... and of course..." he looked me in the eye and pointed at me while smiling.

"... hopelessly in love."

I avert my eyes, looking upwards. "I guess... so what does that have to do with my situation?" I asked.

Tsukiyama closed his eyes, folding his hands again. "I believe you represent these traits well, Levin. Especially the forgiveness part."

"How do I represent forgiveness?" I said, though I didn't really mean to, I meant to keep that in my head, so Tsukiyama answered me.

"Because... think about it." He said, looking my in the eyes with a serious face. "You forgave me. Even after I hurt you dearly, and your friends." He said.

I couldn't speak, I didn't know to say to a serious looking Tsukiyama. This was a side I haven't seen, but you never know if he was just playing with me here. But I listen anyway.

"But that's just..." I trailed off.

"You also forgave Ayato, and even converted him to a new light. You almost did the same with Eto, too." He exclaimed.

"I believe this is where the caring part comes in, Levin." He said, a smile coming to his face. "You are probably the most caring person I know, someone who will sacrifice everything just to make his friends a tiny bit more comfortable to sleep at night, even if they don't like you being away, even if it hurts you.

"So this is what I think you must do, Levin Seto. You must learn to not forgive others, but to ask for forgiveness for your blindness. You did not expect this reaction from the people you love because you didn't see it from their perspective.

"The answer you seek is simple. You just need to ask for forgiveness. I've done that plenty of times, from Kaneki... and even you." He said, closing his eyes in a state of remembrance.

I couldn't speak, but I slowly nodded. I was a fool. How could I not understand how others would feel when all I was doing was seeing it from my perspective? How could I have been so blind?

By doing this, I did the exact thing I didn't want to do, I hurt them, and caused trouble for them. Now I know what I must do...

I stand and look Tsukiyama in the eyes. "Thank you, Shuu."

Tsukiyama smiled and nodded, sipping his coffee. I turn and walk towards the door, but then I stop, looking back at him. He gave me a puzzled smile.

"Hey... your pretty caring when you want to be, Shuu." I said, then turned to leave, heading down the street with the sounds of cars going by on the street.

Tsukiyama POV

I sat there in shock. Me a nice person?

...

I felt my chest tighten up, and a smile go to my lips. Maybe it was time to finally ask for forgiveness myself. I stand and head for the door, but stop when I see a familiar figure.

A person stood in the doorway of the cafe, a suit on and semi-long hair. "Master Shuu your father has requested for your audience." The servant said.

"Kanae..? Very well." I said, a bit saddened by the fact that my own agenda is canceled. I wonder what my father wants from me?

(And the next arc is about to begin... gears are turning, and you know when that starts to happen, tragedy is sure to follow. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed and have a wonderful day!) - MnMs171