Clues in Plain Sight

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power."
- Lao Tzu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levin POV

I haven't been to Uta's since I got my mask, I suppose I have to visit every now and then. Though these streets don't appeal to me that much, I find it troubling having to look over my shoulders every now and then.

The street is silent for the most part, except for the little noise of a cat meowing in the distance in an alley or something. This seems like the place you go to pick up sluts and get drunk.

Coming here alone is pretty intense, before Kurona was with me, which was reassuring. Now that I'm alone, I get more of a look at your surroundings.

I approach the door and open it, instantly smelling alcohol and smoke from inside. Uta didn't smoke, right? I walk in and close the door silently, scanning the room and my eyes stopping on an individual woman, with long, auburn hair.

She glanced at me at first, but she then looked at me quickly, staring at me. Who's she? A shiver went down my spine again, just like when I met Uta, this woman gives me a very bad vibe.

"Who are you?" She said, taking another sip out of her wine glass. I frown and take a step closer, crossing my arms.

"My name is Crow, I'm here to see Uta." I said.

She squinted at me. "Just to talk?"

I glare at her. "More like I want info on someone, now where is he?" I said.

She smirked. "What makes you think he wants to give you info, Crow?" She got up out of her seat and walked around me, stopping beside me and giving me a quick sniff, which I flinched and back ed away from her.

"You are him, the hybrid." She said.

I frown. "Hybrid?"

She walked back to a door, opening it a bit and mentioning for me to follow her, I do. "The doves and ghouls alike have been calling you either Crow or Hybrid. Though I already know from Uta that your name is Levin, right?" She said as she stopped in front of another door and opened it for me.

I walk past her and into a room with Uta in it, cleaning a mask. Not any mask too, it's that eye patch mask I saw last time i was here...

Uta smiled at me. "What do I owe the honor, Levin? I haven't seen you in awhile." He said.

I frown. "I've been busy. But I came for some info-"

"Now who is this~!" I heard a voice from the edge of the room say. I flinch and quickly turn towards a man.

He wore a pink shirt and velvet pants, his lips covered in lipstick. He looked like one of those creeps you'd find in a freak show. I take a step back, this guy too, they all feel dangerous.

"My name is Nico! Very pleased to meet you, Levin." He tried to take my hand and kiss it, but I shook it away, disgusted.

I squint at him. "I'd appreciate if you didn't touch me." I said.

Uta laughs. "You two leave, please. I have some talking to do with the young man here." He said.

The other two glared at me a bit, then walked out slowly. I glared back, trying to seem I'm not scared when I really was trying to stop my hand from shaking. This presence was too much, it felt like pure chaos pulled into them.

I get down to business once they leave. "Do you know a man named Sasaki Haise?" I asked.

Uta rubbed his chin. "No, I haven't heard that name before. Why do you ask?"

"Touka and Yomo seem to change their attitude around him. He's a dove, but they seem to... know him somehow." I explained.

Uta got up and walked around the room, placing the mask back on its pedestal. He stared at it with longing, then turned back to me with a small smile.

"Maybe they've fought him before. Every ghoul has been in at least one fight in their life. Even the young ones." He said that last part a bit sadly.

I cross my arms. "But... there's this certain thing about him that just makes me... interested. Whenever Touka talks to him at Re, she usually breaks down afterward, as if hurt." I said.

Uta sat down next to me on the table in front of a row of masks. He grabbed one and put it over his face. "Maybe he's someone they used to know... but why would it effect Touka like that?" Uta said.

I shrugged, an idea unable to show itself in my head. Damn, even Uta doesn't know who this Sasaki guy is. But if Uta doesn't know, then who do I go to for info? Suddenly, my flinch, perking up a bit as an idea popped into my mind.

I get up and walk towards the door. "Thanks for the talk, Uta. I'm going to see if someone else knows anything." I said.

Uta smiled. "And who is that?"

I scratch my head. "Just a friend I recently made. See ya."

I walk out the door and onto the street, taking out my phone and making a call. As it rang, someone on the other end picked up, with that friendly French accent.

"Hello! Who is this?" Said Shuu.

"Its me, Levin. I was wondering if you could give me some info on a certain dove, Sasaki Haise." I spoke into the cell.

There was a brief silence, then Shuu spoke. "I think I've heard that name before... What do you want with this... Sasaki?"

"Just looking into something. I saw him at Re earlier, Touka seemed to know him and is sad when seeing him, you know him?" I asked hastily.

"Hmm... I have heard that name before. In fact, I think my pet got something from him awhile ago." He said.

"From where?" I asked. He has a pet?

There was another brief pause. I stopped in the alley I was in, waiting for an answer. He was different today, he seemed less more cheerful than usual.

"You okay, Tsukiyama?" I asked, scratching my head.

"Ah! You called me by my first name~, you'll have to take responsibility~!" He said, joking with me, laughing it up.

I chuckle. "Anyway, just tell me if you hear anything, I'll call you in a week to see how your doing." I said, beginning to walk out of the alley.

"Merci, little Crow... goodbye now." He said before hanging up.

He's still weird but a good guy, I guess. I keep my eyes forward, it seems I'm heading to the Nest next, let's see what's up there. I'm kind of wondering at the moment, but I suppose I need to head home.

I sigh and rub my eyes, it was getting late anyway. The streets get deadly at night, I don't want to get mixed up in anything else today.

As I walked I looked over my shoulder even at the slightest brush in alleys and bushes. This was going to be a long walk.

(Sorry for not updating for like a week! I've been having finals at school and they've been kicking me in the arse. I will update more frequently next weekend when their over. Nonetheless, I hope you liked this part of the story.) - MnMs171