Flames Grow Taller

" The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life."
- Richard Bach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Akira POV

In my office, I exchange a few papers in and lean back into my chair. Office work was quite boring, but someone had to do it. I glance over out the window.

The Nest raid was successful... in its own way. It has been two days since then, that we scared the ghouls there out. But we couldn't confirm any deaths of the ghouls there. Not even Scorpion, who had escaped with the help of Crow suddenly making an appearance.

That morning before we attacked them, he got an anonymous tip from someone that there was ghouls hiding in the 11th ward. Of course we had to check it out, and after some investigation, it was true.

"Nest", they had called it. No doubt this was the same Nest we had heard that helped Crow escape Cochlea. Most of the higher ups are just unhappy about our losses and theirs, the ratio of deaths on our side was much too high.

We hadn't seen Scorpion for a long time, so we didn't know had strong he had gotten. But with wounds like that, most people are betting we exterminated him.

But Crow still worries me. Every time we let our guard down, he comes out of nowhere and wreaks havoc. Bad news just keeps piling up.

The only good thing that has happened lately is the news of Urie being found, and now is in a hospital to rest. The Quinx squad has been going there to support him, maybe I should too?

Aogiri has gone dark for some reason, nothing is coming up from them. Their attacks have stopped completely, and we can't even find any of their hideouts.

Whenever I find Aogiri somewhere, Floppy is nearby... Amon.

I look down at my desk and clench my fists. What exactly did they do to him? A half ghoul? He never used his kagune, but with those movements and that stamina he had to be. A normal human would've bled out with those wounds he had.

Suddenly a ring on my phone came through, causing me to jump in surprise. I quickly grab it and answer. "Hello?"

"Mado? We have some big news..." a man said.

I squint my eyes. "What is it this time?"

"We have news of Nest being burned down." Said the reporter from the front desk.

... what?

Levin POV

I stood on a roof top in the distance, the warehouse sending ashes into the winter air. After the CCG had left, I decided to leave no trace, it's what Vincent had planned to do if Nest was ever found out anyway.

I look down in the fire and stare. Like I had promised, I let him go down with the ship. I had waited patiently for these past few days until the CCG left, all that was left was a few night Guards. I easily snuck past them.

The rest was easy. Grab items that I need and spread the gasoline. Now Nest was in flames, the smoke covering the air, the smell hit my nose and I recoiled in displeasure.

I turn and find a few Aogiri members standing there, all standing by. I sigh and run a hand through my hair. "I thought I told Eto that I quit?" I said.

The crowd dispersed and out came someone I hadn't seen in awhile. Ayato Kirishima came out, wearing a black leather jacket and jeans.

"I brought them." He said.

"I thought I told you to head for Re?" I said, squinting at him and talking in a monotone voice.

Ayato frowned. "No, you gave me orders to leave Aogiri. I did. The whole joining Re business happens when I come with you." He explained.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Ayato pointed at the large group of people, all of them threw their cloaks aside. Before I always thought of Aogiri members as faceless people, but now I can see all their faces, each one of them looked different.

"They've decided to quit Aogiri... and join you." Ayato exclaimed.

I flinch, scanning the crowd. "Why?"

One person from the group, walked in front of the others. "I owe my life to you, and I intend to repay you for attacking Kanou's lab." He said.

This guy had grey hair that covered half his face, in his hand was his mask, the lower part of a gas mask, which covered his lower part of his face. He was shorter than me, but he looked a bit gruff.

"My name is Riki Hada... I was in the lab you attacked that Kanou controlled." He mumbled, his voice was cold and didn't sound like he was happy about being saved.

"I didn't save you directly... why were you in Kanou's lab?" I asked, my thoughts already had an image though.

Riki closed his eyes, then when he opened them, his right eye shone of that of a ghouls, but not his left. I knew it, an experimental half ghoul. I feel like giving Kanou an extra punch in the face now.

"But don't think you can order me around like a dog." He said, his face still blank.

I nodded. "I didn't intend to. And you don't owe me anything, you can leave if you want." I said.

Ayato intervened, walking over to me and pulling me to the side for a word. "Just let him. He has a huge amount of pride, and being saved by you tarnished it a bit... he thinks repaying you for a debt will repair his pride... more or less." He trailed off.

I look back at Riki and the rest of them. They ranged to a teenagers to grown ass men and women. Riki couldn't be that far off of my age either...

After a long silence. "Fine. You can join me as I head to Re. Once we get there, you can just do whatever until I send word that I need help." I exclaimed.

Riki nodded, then put on his mask and pulled a hood over his head. "Then let's get going." He mumbled, leading the group across the roof.

I stand there, wondering if that was the right decision. Ayato nudges me a bit. "Sorry about Vincent... the bastard was an idiot but... a brave idiot." He said.

I know he's not trying to be a jerk, but sincerely cheer me up. I give him a nod. "Thanks... but it's best not to dwell in the past. I got what I need, so let's go." I said.

As me and Ayato started for the cars that were parked by mine, I stare at him. He frowns.

"What? I have something on my face?" He asked.

I let out a small smirk. "No... just wondering what you'll look like when Touka orders you around while you wear a Re employee uniform." I joked.

Ayato's face went white, but he got in the car nonetheless. "This is why you piss me off." He mumbled.

(And the story moves on~. The next arc is gonna be pretty tame at the beginning, getting back into romance and comedy, then later there's going to be more tragedy! Hooray! Nonetheless I hope you enjoyed and have a wonderful day!) - MnMs171

PS:
Shout out to romanrandy for giving me his OC, Riki Hada. I hope the character adds to your hopes. We'll be seeing him a bit more in the recent arc.