Hidden Pain

" Change before you have to."
- Jack Welch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hinami POV

The past week I have been here, at Nest, it's been very calm for once. Kaneki and Touka dropped me off here, and went back to Re, but Kaneki still drops by every now and then to visit or for business.

I talk a lot with the twins, sometimes Vincent. But I barely have gotten to talk to Levin, who seemed very distant from everyone. Or was this how he usually was?

We all had heard from Rize that Eto had come to them during the day and talked with Levin, but he hasn't said a word on how that conversation played out.

"He worries me sometimes." Vincent said, looking over at him from the lounge to the kitchen, where he was making our monthly meals.

"Is he usually this quiet?" I asked.

Vincent shrugged. "Sometimes. But it's obvious something is bothering him."

I look over at Levin, enveloped into his cooking. He looked empty, like he wasn't even paying attention to what he was doing. Like an autopilot switch had suddenly been hit and he was just following his instinct to move around the kitchen, with his mind somewhere completely different.

Vincent stood, walking up the stairs to his room. "Do me a favor and go talk to him." He said.

"M-Me?" I said, surprised. I barely know Levin, I met him under back circumstances, when the festival was attacked.

Ayato and Levin also don't get along... I hope Ayato is okay. Before I left, he told me I was in his way. At the time I felt hurt, but now I think he said that to get me to safety. What was Ayato planning to do? If he quits Aogiri, Eto will have his head.

I walk slowly to the kitchen, and stop at the entrance, watching Levin chop the meat and put it in bags for tonight. He suddenly freezes, and grabbed his head, groaning.

What's wrong with him? Is he in pain-!

Levin suddenly ran to the sink, and barfed into it. At first I thought he had barfed normally, but when I took a few steps closer, I noticed he had barfed blood.

I walk up to him, hurriedly. "A-Are you okay? Do you need me to get medicine-!"

Levin put his hand up, for me be silent. He took a few deep breaths, then grabbed his head again, groaning. He grit his teeth, and when he opened his eyes, his irises were a faint red.

"Are you hungry?" I asked, looking at the meat.

Levin sighed, standing straight. "No."

Such a blunt answer. He then walked over to the sealed up meat and put it in the fridge, closing it tightly and turning to me while leaning on the fridge for support.

"What did you want?" He asked.

For the first time I got the feeling he was actually talking to me. But since he's in a bad mood... I look over at where he cut the meat and grow a small smile.

"Can you teach me to cook like you do?" I asked.

Levin raised one eyebrow in question, but shrugged. "Sure... give me a moment." He said.

He took another deep breath, then walked over to the counter, beckoning me to stand in front of the cutting board.

"Alright. Since this meat isn't cut, you can start with this. You know how to cut?" He asked, handing me a kitchen knife.

I nod, and begin cutting the meat, but he stops me suddenly. "No no. You have to cut it a bit smaller, so the seasoning sinks into every little bit of the meat." He instructed.

I did as he asked, and then was quickly told how to marinate them. I hadn't tasted his cooking before, but after I was finished, it smelled delicious. To use coffee as a seasoning was smart, but I bet it didn't taste all that sweet.

"There. Anything else?" He asked, putting the meat I had made under his steps and placing them into the fridge.

"Not really... are you sure your okay?" I asked again.

Levin froze for a moment, then nodded without looking me into he eye. He then walked out of the kitchen, up the stairs. I heard the opening and closing of his door.

What's wrong with him?

Levin POV

I quickly collapsed on my bed, clenching my head and letting out a small scream of pain.

Throb.

I can't take this! Damn it! I had control over it for awhile, so why now? My Kakuja, I can't control it. Before, Vincent had told me to use it correctly and control it, I'd have to eat half ghouls, not normal ones.

But like I'd be able to do that.

I bite my lip hard, to avoid myself from thinking anything else. I felt my kagune pushing itself out, but I held it in, I fell off my bed and onto the floor, I crawled to my desk, trying to grab onto my desk chair for support, but I slipped off of it and went back to the ground.

"Remember." Said a whisper in my head.

No! I don't want to! Why don't I want to? I don't care, just stop this pain! I stand up and use the wall as a support. Why? Why now?

I let my kagune fly out, it stabbed into the bed and sent feathers into the air. I scream, clenching my head as my kagune whipped around violently.

The door opened, and Vincent walked in, Rize was behind him. Once they both looked at me, I could tell this wasn't good judging by their faces.

"Let it go. Let it come back." Said the voice.

No! I look down to my torso to find my Kakuja enveloping me, putting my armor like kagune around me and creating a mask around my face.

"Lev! Snap out of it!" Vincent yelled.

My only response was a scream.

Rize looked like she was about to do something, but someone pushed past her. His white and black hair signature to him.

Kaneki stood, his clothes looked a bit wet from his walk here, and he let his kagune loose. "Stand back." He murmured to them.

I didn't even see Kaneki as he suddenly appeared in front of my face, and his knee implanted into my gut. I freeze, my Kakuja stopping its whipping and freezing also.

"Get some rest." Kaneki whispered, my consciousness slipping as I closed my eyes.

Eto POV

Ayato sat at the table, sighing. "What makes you think he'll join?" He asked, crossing his arms and frowning.

I smile, I couldn't help it. "Oh he will. I gave him some time to decide." I said, letting out a giggle afterwards.

Ayato gave me a confused look. "Why would he? He hates Aogiri."

I skip over to him, sitting next to him on the table and smirking down at him. "I said not to worry."

Ayato shrugged, then stood, obviously not wanting to talk to me. I know he's thinking of quitting. That's all right I guess, I don't care anymore. I just need Levin. If I have him, then we'll take over this city, and I'll keep my end of the bargain, I'll let his friends live.

But if he doesn't come within the time I gave him...

Then it's goodbye to your Nest, little Crow.

(Happy Halloween!) - MnMs171