Favorite Coffee

" Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made and forgot to put a soul into."
- Henry Ward Beecher

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sasaki POV (I know its Kaneki, basically, but he's known as Sasaki now, so fuck it!)

I stand in front of Re with a bag in my hand, someone stands at my side, his hands on his hips.

"So, you gonna tell me why we're here again?" Levin asked, looking confused. He was wearing a long sleeved shirt, which was pulled to his elbows; and some blue jeans, complete with sneakers. He looked like any college student.

I fiddle my fingers a bit. "You agreed to help, so don't back down now." I said, thought I say this, I'm grateful he came for support.

Levin grinned. "Here to settle an old crush~!" He said, hitting me with his elbow, teasing me a bit.

"S-Shut up! I just want to talk with her... tell her I remember, y'know?" I mumbled, rubbing my arm nervously.

Levin sighed and scratched his head. "Yeah yeah. Let's go, no use standing out here looking like we're spotting the place for robbery." He said, pushing me into the cafe.

A nervous lump goes into my throat when we enter, the ding of the bell a sound that I remembered well. And out came from the counter the girl I needed to talk to, her indigo, beautiful hair hanging over half of her face. She wore her normal barista outfit. Which I say looked quite nice...

I find myself staring until she smiled nervously at us, and Levin elbowing me again. "What're you guys doing here? For some coffee?" Touka asked, gaining her smile back.

Levin sat down and spun in his chair, asking Yomo for an iced coffee. Him and Yomo seem to have a good relationship, but they always seem to glare at each other. Maybe it's a love, hate thing?

Putting them aside, I put my attention on Touka, who has a pad, waiting for me to press my order. I find myself pushing my happy side out more when I'm around her, so it made me feel all warm in my chest.

"Vanilla latte, with a beautiful smile!" I said, grinning.

Touka did something I didn't expect. Instead of blowing me off completely, like I thought she would, her face turned red and she turned quickly. "O-Okay!" She muttered before charging into the back.

Just a small compliment was enough to make her embarrassed? I smirk, finding a mischievous side of me coming out that I didn't know I had.

"Oi, that smirk looks creepy." Levin said, looking over at me while sipping his drink.

I snap out of it and give him a glare as Touka comes out of the back, back to her calm self. I take it, and our hands brush, this time I turn a bit pink, but make it go away quickly, Touka doesn't seem to notice. She had such soft and warm hands...

Snap out of it! We're here to talk! I look around at the shop and sit down next to Levin. "Hey... can we talk? Just one on one?" I asked Touka before she headed into the back.

She looked confused, but nodded. "Sure, we can use my room, c'mon." She said, heading down in the back. Yomo and Levin gave each other a look and both then looked at me.

Levin gave me a look of uncertainty, as if he was asking if I really wanted to tell her about my memories coming back... how would she react? And Yomo... I think he got the wrong idea, because he was giving me a thumbs up...

I slowly make my way through the halls and find her door slightly open, I open it, and find a small room with one bed, a small kitchen for cooking meals and a table with a bunch of sketches. She seemed to see them as I did and she scrambled for them, trying to hide them for some reason.

Before they all went into a drawer, one went to the ground near my feet, and I leaned down to pick it up.

The beautifully designed drawing was of a single man. His white hair was the most noticeable thing in it. I flinch when scanning the whole thing and pipe up.

"Is this me?" I asked, making her flinch. "I didn't know you were so good at drawing, Touka." I said, a smile forming on my lips.

Touka turned slowly from the desk, a light blush on her face. "I-I just think of it as a hobby. And yeah... that's Kaneki." She muttered.

I looked down at the picture and chuckle. " I look pathetic... you could've gave me some killer abs!" I said, flexing comically.

Touka giggled a bit, covering her mouth. "Yeah right! I never really got the chance-!" She stopped herself, looking away from me.

I grin. "You mean you wanted to see my abs?" I teased.

Touka crossed her arms. "Shut up, of course not." She mumbled, sitting down at the table as I sat across from her.

We were silent for a long time, I just sat there, sipping my coffee. I wondered how I should break it to her? I mean, she could end up punching me in the face like last time I tried to come back... hehe, remembering that stings a bit.

"So, what was so important that you had to call me to my room?" Touka said with an exaggerated voice.

I suddenly smile and look up at the ceiling. "This place... resembles Anteiku a lot, doesn't it? Did you get it modeled after it?" I asked.

Touka rubbed her chin. "Hmmm. Yeah, I guess I did that without realizing it." She said, not noticing herself.

"But your coffee still is the best." I said.

"You bet." She mumbled, trailing off.

It was silent again. The only thing we could hear was the cars and people going down the peaceful street outside the window; and the chats going on in the cafe.

"I remember everything." I said suddenly.

We were silent again, I couldn't see Touka's face, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it. I stared at the ceiling, laying on my back, comfortable from the pillow cushions.

"So... your Kaneki, then?" Touka asked slowly.

I shrug. "I don't know who I am... maybe I'm still Sasaki... or maybe I'm Kaneki... either way, it doesn't matter." I said, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath.

"I think when I finally woke up for real I found out why I was wrong back then. I was an idiot. Young and thinking he was so powerful he could save everyone, when he couldn't even save himself..." I trailed off, thinking on my past and sighing.

"But... I still don't regret it, somehow. I don't know why." I mumbled.

Touka spoke up. "Then what should I call you?" She asked.

I smile. "Just Haise... I feel like Kaneki had his run, but I'll stick with this new name. If I'm some weird mix of the two, then it's no problem." I chuckle to myself as I felt a poke on my shoulder.

I sit up and find myself in an embrace, that made me freeze. She squeezed tight, making me blush at first, then, Touka spoke.

"Its okay to cry about the past." She mumbled, I could tell tears were in her eyes. A sudden rush of everything that happened came to me and I found myself tearing up too.

"Yeah..." I said, hurrying my head in her shoulder, it was so warm. One of the only people I can talk to about the past, and it's someone as beautiful and kind as her, I'd say I'm pretty lucky.

Touka smiled on my shoulder.

"Welcome back... stupid Haise."