New Faces

"It is not in the stars that hold our destiny but in ourselves."
- William Shakespeare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kurona POV

Levin is baking and I am watching him. He seems nervous right now for some reason, why? I have been watching him all day. Why have i been giving him all this attention lately?

It's probably because I finally recognize him as a friend, someone i can trust. I still stare st him when he suddenly talks to me while putting his special seasoning on his meat he's making.

"What is it? You've been staring at me for awhile..." He scratched his head, looking at the ceiling.

"I don't know." I said in a plain answer.

He blinked, looking at me. He then smiled and continued to work on tonight's dinner. But he should try a different seasoning now, just that same seasoning can get boring, no matter how much i love it.

I hear the door opening, I look over to see Vincent walk in with another person, a young boy, maybe sixteen or seventeen. He had long brown hair reaching to his shoulders, and glasses. He looked nervous as he walked in and Vin walked to us.

"Who is this?" Levin asks, wiping a dish in his hand.

Vin smirks. "Well, I did say we're getting some new faces around here, this is Kawasaki Izumi, a student that's going to be living here for now, and yes, he's a ghoul." He explained.

Levin smiles at the new boy. "Nice to meet you, my name is Levin Seto, oh, I'm half American, so you can call me Lev, everyone does." He said, shaking his hand.

Levin is half American, the only part of him that's even close to him being Japanese is his eye color, a dark azure color, like his hair.

Kawasaki startled with words. "Y-You can call me Kawa if My whole surname is too long, it's nice to meet you, Lev." He said, already nervous saying his first name.

So, this new kid seems like the nervous type. Some part of me wants to try and scare him, but he's already giving me nervous glances. Why does everyone react that way when they first meet me? I frown at him and turn back to my sister.

Vin leads Kawa to the monitors, no doubt to discuss rent and chores he has to do. Me and Levin already have enough, maybe he can take most of the load off our shoulders.

Levin sits back down next to me and laughs a bit. "Another face around here doesn't seem too bad." He said.

I nod slightly, but feel my head start to nod because of me being sleepy. I rub my eyes and feel something wrap around my shoulders, I look behind me to see Levin putting a blanket over me, like he usually did when I was falling asleep next to Nashiro.

He smiled, but put his finger up to his lips as if to say, shhh, go to sleep. I close my eyes and feel the warmth of the blanket, Levin's so kind...

Levin POV

I walk out of the infirmary, seeing that Kurona fell asleep next to her sister again. I look over at Vin, who's showing Kawa around, the kid honestly looks nice, and acts formal, but he could be a little more relaxed.

I see something that surprises me at first. I freeze, feeling as if Vin should get the newbie out of the building once I see Rize walking downstairs in the first time in... forever.

I quickly walk up to her before she can see the new guy. "So, finally decided to come down to reality?" I asked.

She saw me and grinned seductively, making me freeze. She walked up to me and traced her finger around my shoulder like she did in her room that one time. "Maybe... but if you want to go somewhere even more alive, just ask." She whispered into my ear.

I blush. "I don't like it when you do that." I murmured.

She giggled as she headed for the kitchen. "You say that but your secretly happy that I do things like that, what man wouldn't like to be pondered by a woman such as myself?" She said with a smile.

She sat down at the counter and leaned into the table. "Now, are you going to get me something to eat, or what?" She asked.

I frown. "But I just gave you some yesterday!" I said.

She grinned. "Yes, but I seem to only be filled when I get a taste of you." She said in that seductive voice.

I shake my head trying to get the blush off my face. She gets to me way too easily. Just yesterday I had a grip on pushing her back and being mean, but why can't I do that when she's doing this to me? Wait, does she do this so she can get on my good side?

Well, I suppose I can't blame her for trying, she acts as if she really wants to take a bite out of me. So I should give her a chance to be friends with me, I think.

I hear up some meat and put it in front of her, and she eats it gratefully. While she's eating, what I feared comes true, the new kid came in, his eyes widening at Rize's beauty.

She doesn't see him at first, he's behind her. So I give him a signal as if he might get strangled if he talks to her, he nods, giving me a straight face, but points into her mouth. Ah, he's hungry, Vin probably sent him to me to get food.

I walk past Rize and grab Kawa, pushing him out of the kitchen. Once were out of the kitchen and out of earshot, I whisper to him as if give him some meat. "Don't get involved with that one." I said.

He smiled nervously again. "But she's pretty, she can't be that bad..." He stopped seeing my face. "That bad, huh?"

"Try her wanting to eat me... Hey, did Vin tell you what I am, right?" I asked.

He half smiled and nodded, good, I don't have to explain it to him. I cross my arms and point to the living room. "Wanna play some PS4?" I asked.

He smiled widely. "You have one!" He said excitedly.

Looks like this guy's a game nerd like myself. I lead him to the living room and we begin playing, playing a couple of matches and winning over and over again. He probably could beat me and Kurona if it was me and her versus him alone. He's good at gaming.

He leans back and sighs. "I'm glad I can game here too. Can I play this without your permission?" He asked.

I grin. "I'm supposed to ask Vin's permission, does it look like I give a crap?"

We both smile and laugh at the small joke. I like Kawa, he's relatable and he's easy to get along with. "What grade you in, Kawa?" I asked.

He looked at his feet. "I'm a sophomore, Sixteen years old." He said.

"I'm not in school, but I wish I was. I'm Eighteen, almost nineteen in a month." I said with a smile.

I talk some more with Kawa and then head to my room, getting sleepy. I enter my room slowly and plop onto my bed, sighing and closing my eyes without even pulling the covers over myself.

I'm so bored here now. It's nice to be lazy here at Nest, but that'll change tomorrow, I'm heading back to Re to continue training and work. Maybe I can treat Kawa and Kurona to a trip to the festival that's opening downtown in the 13th ward in a week.

But I'll be seeing Touka when I get there, so maybe it won't be so bad at work. That is if she still hates my guts...

I sigh and stare at the ceiling. Change is going to happen.