No Matter What

" Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself."
- Marcus Tillius Cicero

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vincent POV

My time is almost up. If I don't hurry with the thing I've been asked to do, we'll be in trouble. But somewhere in the back of my head tells me this is just as she wants, that bitch.

I frown thinking about, and I'm snapped back to reality when Levin snaps in front of my face to get my attention.

"Hey, you okay? You've been spacing out recently." He said, a worried expression on his face.

Damn. He really does look a lot like him...

I give a small nervous smile. "Y-Yeah... just thinking about something. So, how is security going today?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Hmm. Well, the doves seem to be busy with the media still, and they've pulled out of the 11th ward, which is great news for us." He said, sipping his coffee.

I reach for mine as well and sip it, the bitterness hits my tongue, and I flinch. "Did you forget to put sugar in mine?" I asked with a frown.

Levin chuckled a bit. "Sorry, I've been busy I can't remember the little details right now." He said, plopping a sugar cube into my cup.

I slowly stir the cup and stare down at the brown color of the coffee.

"So. Talk to Rize or Kuro lately?" I asked, changing the subject to a teasing one.

Levin froze up, almost spitting out his coffee from surprise at the sudden change of topic. He's been on his toes since a few days ago when Rize and Kuro started acting different around him.

It's almost time.

"Your gonna have to choose one." I said bluntly.

Levin frowned. "Choose one?"

"Your way too dense for your own good." I sighed, scratching my head. "Even a little child could tell that their madly in love with you, you idiot." I explained.

Levin's face went a bit pink at the thought, but he shook his head, looking down at his coffee. "So... that's what it was after all." He mumbled.

Ah, I see. Deep down he knew that already, he just didn't want to accept it.

"Why didn't you come to terms earlier with your feelings?" I asked, sipping my coffee again.

Levin looked up from his coffee and looked me in the eyes with a sad look. "I'm the Crow, Vin." He said simply.

"What does that have to do-" I started.

"It means I could die at any moment." He said, his grim expression hitting me hard.

"It means that my enemies will do anything to make me suffer, even if it means killing the ones I love." He said, sipping the last of his coffee.

He didn't want to get close to them, because he doesn't want to endanger them further?

"How naive. I thought you were an adult?" I said.

He stopped at the door and glanced back with a small smile. "But... it's nice to be naive every once in awhile."

He left the room, closing the door silently. It was quiet in the room for a very long time, and I turned back to the monitors. I open a cabinet and open a file, the file.

I don't want to do this.

But if it's what I must do to protect them, then I'll do it. I'll do anything. Even if they hate my guts after I do this, I will always be on their side.