Mom & Dad

" The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness."
- Honore de Balzac

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levin POV

The dream went a little like this...

Most would call this a dream. But to me it was a memory, because it played it out so well. I think I was about seven when it happened...

It was a cold winter day, outside it was snowing and the cement on the sidewalks were frozen with ice you could easily slip on. Icicles hung from the roof edges and snow crystals silently and smoothly fell to the grass and ground.

I sat in my living room, on the couch looking out the window, a book in my hands and smiling. I loved to read by the fireplace while it was cold out. I turned back to the fire and stuck my head into the book again, it was a pretty large book for a ten year old to be reading.

I forget what it was called... and who wrote it... but I remember the plot, at least.

It was about a girl and her sister, going through life with no one loving them or even wanting them as their friends. And one day they meet a boy, a good natured boy that decides to talk to them, and once gets talking to them, can't keep away from them because he finds them so interesting.

Through out the book, the boy helps the both of them with dealing with their pasts, and soon the two sisters both fall in love with this one boy. They of course fight over it, growing a rivalry.

But one evening, he tells them that he has a disease that can't be cured, a heart disease, that if his heart beats too fast, it could cause him to have a heart attack. After telling them this, the girls slowly decide not to tell them their feelings.

But when the boy gets in a car wreck a year later, and is on his death bed, he asks for the two sisters to come in. As they talk, the boy claims that he already knew they loved him, and for the last thing he wanted to hear, was them say it out loud.

"I love you." I remember saying out loud, reading what the book said. After the confession, the boy smiled weakly and the heart meter went up, and soon...

The book ended sadly, yet on a very happy and uplifting note. To me, that was the perfect book...

"Is it really the perfect book?" I hear a voice break into the dream. I'm suddenly in the white room again, looking at myself, my ghoul self once more.

Human was silent as always nowadays, sitting on the ground a few steps away not paying attention with a bitter look on his face.

I frown at Ghoul. "Yes. It had a great ending. It was emotional and had nice characters-"

"But was it a happy end?" Ghoul asked, smirking a bit.

I flinched. The entire room seemed to shake with me as I did so. Happy end? I grab onto my head, it started to throb and pain arched through my whole body.

"O-Of course it was a happy end-" I started to make an excuse as Ghoul interrupted again.

"Is that your definition of a happy ending? The hero dying after the girls that love him confess over him? That's pretty sad." Ghoul said with a bitter tone.

I squint at him. "But it was sad for a reason-!"

"For what reason? Because he was weak? Because after all he did for those girls, they couldn't do anything for him in the end?" Ghoul said, with a blank face.