Truths from Family

"Sometimes good people make bad choices. It doesn't mean they are bad people. It means their human."
- Kishou Arima (Tokyo Ghoul)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaneki POV

"It's over, Arima." I said, standing straight as the investigator looked down at his broken quinque. The same face as always.

He then looked back up at me, and ran. I was surprised at first, but quickly started to counter his sudden attack. It seems like... even after all this time...

I still do not understand you, Arima.

"Wrong. As long as both people stand, the battle does not end until one is dead." He said, slashing at me again and again. I backed off and stared at his wrists and then his knees.

How can I make it so he can't fight? Go for his quinque again? I could try and get it away from him, then he'd have to stop fighting. But what about his wrists, I could impale them. Or his legs, if I injure him there then-

As I think this, one of Arima's strikes hits me in the shoulder, I look at it calmly, then stop for a moment. A moment ago, he said, that he could've killed me anytime before. So... that's, how it's going to be?

I stop moving, and let his next strike stab me in the hip. There was a frozen amount of time there. Arima slowly pulled the sword out, and then stood in front of me.

"Its useless." I said, looking him in the eyes.

For a moment, a shine went through his expression, I'm not sure if it was happiness, sadness, or even hate. I never will be able to read him, I don't think anyone can.

"So... you do not intend to kill me?" He said slowly.

"I do not." I declared, keeping my deadlock stare into his eyes. "I will not change my answer."

Arima looked up at the ceiling, sighing. This was the first expression I had seen him do that mentioned that he was tired or something of the sort. Maybe he was showing something for once, something that was easier to read than normal?

"Eighteen years. Eighteen years and I have finally found an opponent I found I have no course of action against." He said, still staring upwards. So this means I was right,he never intended to kill me. I suppose he is an odd one.

"I will ask one more time... you do not intend to kill me here and now?" He asked once more. He looked at me straight in the eyes as he said this, but still with that blank expression.

"I do not." I said.

"I see." He said, just as he grabbed his quinque, and sliced his own neck.

Instantly, the world froze for a mid second. In the next second, I quickly grabbed him as he fell. "W-What the hell?! Arima!" I yelled in surprise.

Arima coughed a bit, the blood entered his throat and slowly was going down to his lungs to clog them. I-I had to do something, right?! Anything! Anything at all?! Can I do anything?

Suddenly Arima's hand touched my arm, and I snapped out of my shocked thoughts. "I need you to listen, to what I'm about to say..."

I nodded slowly, trying to talk to him so he could remain as long as he could. Which sounds impulsive of me, I know he is in pain now, but I don't want him to go.

"You probably noticed, about my eye." He said, slowly reaching up and cupping a hand over his left eye. That is the eye that was his opening, the one disadvantage he had. "I can't see out of it.

"The Garden... I was born there. People born in that place, have one human parent, and one ghoul parent." He explained, slowly putting his hand back down to his side.

I blink from confusion. "But... then... how do you eat normally?" I asked.

"In most cases, you have people like me when a ghoul and a human mate. People that can survive off normal means, but have shorter lifespans than normal." He said, his eyes didn't waver or move, they just stared upwards. I wondered if he could see heaven, just beyond this field of flowers.

"It is quite rare for a child to actually be able to produce a kagune. To be like Eto." He explained further.

Something came to mind, but he already knew what I was going to ask.

"Levin Seto is the Child of a Ghoul, his father, and his mother. Though, he did not know that his mother was born in the garden, like I was. She did not have much time in her life." He said, making me freeze up.

"Does that mean... Levin doesn't have much time to live either?" I asked slowly.

Arima closed his eyes for a second then let out a slow breath. It was shaken from the throat wound. I was surprised he had the strength to pull through this with him dying.

"I do not know that answer. All I know is that whatever genetics mixed between his parents that created him, made the existence of Levin Seto possible. Whether he has a shorter lifespan like his mother I do not know." He said. "His mother was of the first of us, like me."

There was a long silence, which kind of scared me, I didn't want him to go just yet. I didn't want him to die. Why did he have to die? I'm scared and sad.

"When you are asked how I died... I want you to say, that you killed me." He said.

"W-What-?!"

I stopped as he stared into my eyes instead of up at the ceiling. With that one look, I shut my mouth and slowly nodded. "That's right. I killed you." I mumbled.

"Good." Arima muttered, his voice was getting raspy. "One last thing..."

"What is it?" I asked slowly.

Levin POV

I sat in the helicopter, staring out of the side of it with the wind batting at my hair and face. We were above Cochlea, the lights surrounding it definitely makes it look like a prison.

This place...

I spent a large sum of my life in here, almost half of it. A bit more than half. As a test subject, a torture toy, and experiment. All the memories of this place, I did not like one bit. They made me angry and confused.

But... I can't dwell on that right now. My mind goes back to the large room where me and Eto fought, where I last saw her.

. . .

"Why did you...?" Eto grumbled, holding her wounds that were still not healing. The piece of meat I had ripped off my Kagune I had made her eat it after I was finished eating her Kakuja.

"I need you to tell me. Everything I don't know about Arima Kishou." I demanded, staring at her.

She sighed with a defeated looking expression. "I suppose he'll tell Kaneki his side anyway, so why not?"

"His side?" I wondered out loud.

"Today, if everything goes as planned, the One Eyed King will die, and a new king will take the throne." She exclaimed, grinning.

"I don't want your throne." I said.

She laughed at this, more blood coming from her mouth and even her ears. "Do you really think I'm the King?" She muttered.

There was a moment of silence, then I answered. "I guess not." I mumbled.

Eto smiled, and reached up and caressed my cheek. "Do me a favor? One last request of your big sis?"

I kept silent and waited for what she was going to say.

"I want you to..."

(It took me awhile to write another part, God Damn. I was on vacation, having a blast. But I'm back and I'll try to update more. Nonetheless I hope you enjoyed and have a wonderful day!) - MnMs171

PS - the manga reveals more stuff, but some of it I didn't need for this story, so I tweaked it up.