Short Reunions

"My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person: He believed in me."
- Jim Valvano

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levin POV

My father twisted his face about in directions that didn't seem possible. I stared at him with a blank face. Beside me Ayato glanced at me with a frown.

"You okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine. Help me take care of him, please." I said, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. "He can't be saved after all of this."

Ayato slowly nodded, and walked to my right side, getting around my father to surround him.

Kaneki gave me a nod and went to the left. My father let out a wale that didn't sound anything like he used to, a deathly sound that vibrated in your ears and made a chill go down your spine.

He jumped straight at me, a kakuja building around his body and eating his own skin. I easily dodged his sloppy form, and grabbed his arm.

With little of no hesitation, I kneed his arm, bending it the wrong way and watched as his bone stuck out of his skin. He screamed in pain, and as some of his Kakuja was coming at me, one of Ayato's kagune spikes impaled him in the neck.

My father squirmed on the floor and grabbed his neck, scratching at the thing that had intruded into his neck. He choked on the blood and screamed in an inhuman noise.

Kaneki jumped above him, and came down with an axe kick, hitting him in the stomach, making my father spit up blood and the things he had been eating.

Then it was silent, my father slumped onto his back unconscious. We all walked over to him, standing over him and his messed up looking body.

"What do you want to do with him?" Kaneki asked, glancing over at me.

I stared down at him for awhile, then shook my head. "He is beyond saving. Let's just leave him." I said.

They both nodded and headed deeper into the ship. Before leaving I glanced back and pursed my lips. My father had always been a man that hid a lot of things.

I never knew that he used to love someone else other than my mother. But the real question was, did he ever think about Vincent at all? Did he ever want to go meet his first son?

When I think of my father abandoning Vincent, I grow breathing myself towards him. Father... I don't think I ever really knew you. Just seeing you bring me toys as a child made me think you loved me.

But you probably were trying to drown out the thoughts that you left someone behind.

How naive you and I were.

Taking a deep breath, I left that room and went after the others.

. . .

The whole ship was a massacre, remnants of the feast that my father had when unleashed against the crew. This woman probably knows that she will die.

Or she's just insane enough to not care.

We climbed the steps to the captains quarters, the smell of corpses was getting stronger the higher we went. I covered my nose and focused on what was ahead when we set foot on the same floor of our destination.

As we were about to continue down the corridor, the speakers of the ship blared out, echoing through the halls. No voice came on, but music started to play. A classic, Beethoven.

Ode to Joy.

Kaneki and Ayato looked at me puzzled, as if I knew why the speakers were letting out such a noise. The song completely broke the tense atmosphere, confusion set in.

"Just ignore it, she's messing with us." Ayato said under his breath, walking ahead of us.

Kaneki follows him soon after, but I take another moment to listen to the song. Classics always had their way of sounding great in whatever situation they can be in. 

Once at the captains quarters door, I grabbed onto the handed, which was shaped as a wheel, and spun it, flinging the door open with a loud slam. 

The room was filled with music bouncing off the walls and glass to the large windows, giving a view of the whole deck of the ship.

The others followed me in, scanning the room. It was composed of a single desk, a large office chair sitting on the other end of it. Blood outlined the entire rooms floor and was all over the desk. A classical music player spun a disk around, playing the music in front of the audio system.

Beside it on the ground was a bloody woman, her long hair, vividly reminding me of Vincents, covering half of her face. If not for the blood, she would've been beautiful indeed.

When I approached, her eyes opened and she stared up at me. For a moment there was a brief understanding of what each of us wanted. Judging from her wounds, she was attacked from father when she let him free.

She choked out a few words. "I told myself that when I first saw you... I'd see nothing but a broken, blackened, Crow with burnt wings." She said under her breath.

I didn't say a word.

"But you always managed to step back up from the depths of insanity." She said, looking down at her wounds, her hand slid across her wound as if she couldn't fathom it was there. She then looked up back at me. "How do you do it? Keep yourself from going insane?"

Giving some thought, I knelt down and made my kagune come out, I aimed it at her heart. "Who says I'm not insane? I just have people there for me in case I step over my boundaries." I exclaimed.

The woman smiled. "I see."

There was silence, then she opened her eyes again, after a brief moment, and her smile turned into a grin. "Goodbye Crow."

As soon as I saw what was in her other hand, it was already too late, she had pressed it. A single switch in her hand, she had pressed it. The whole ship rocked back and forth, the steel beneath us vibrated violently.

She set a bomb?

Of course she did, all final villains have a failsafe.

"You crazy bitch!" Ayato yelled, nearly falling over from the rocking.

Laughter came from her, it was crooked and choked. "The CCG is already here by now, they'll start their assault soon." She said with delight. 

"You knew you were going to lose from the beginning." I mumbled, then stood. She seemed displeased about this.

"Aren't you going to finish me?" She said.

Glancing back at her I shook my head. "No. Captains go down with the ship." I turned to Kaneki and gave him a nod. "Give the call, we need to get out of here."

Kaneki nodded and we all single filed ran out of the room. Back in the captains quarters I could hear the laughter of the dying step mother I had just met.

I burst out of the door onto the side desk of the ship, and I'm immediately outlined by a helicopters bright spotlight. At first I think this is ours, but I see now that that woman wasn't kidding about the CCG.

Loudspeakers boomed over the music.

"Surrender now Crow! Or we'll sink the ship for good." It said.

They already saw the first bombs go off, they'll give it the last push it needs if I don't do something. Boats outlined the whole side of the boat, all of them aiming guns and other getting ready to board the boat.

I turned to Kaneki. "Call it in yet?"

"Yeah, we just need to stall time now." He mumbled, obviously thinking about how we can do that. There is a tone of them and only three of us. Even if all three of us are powerful ghouls, this would be our deathbeds sooner or later.

Sighing, I see boarding crews coming on one end of the ship.

"Then let them come."

(Yes, this part is sort of rushed, and yes I'm writing really slow. Inspiration is hard to come by right now, I'm pretty busy with stuff in my life right now. But I promise I'll finish this. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed and have a wonderful day!) - MnMs171