The Mask Maker

"In order to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present."
- Francis Bacon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke to Vin yelling, "FUCK!"

I bolted out of bed and ran downstairs, he sat at his monitors, looking at his cell phone. I run up to him, tapping his shoulder and making him flinch.

"Don't sneak up on me like that." He said.

"What are you screaming at?" I said, annoyed. I don't like it when he interrupts my sleep, he's done it like four times since i got here three weeks ago.

He smiles. "Well, this does have a good side, I guess." He said.

"What does?"

"Someone hacked my phone, which pisses me off, but I got a message from the hacker, it seems someone else wants to meet you." He said, glancing at me to the message on his phone.

I read the message.

Bring the young Crow to my place, I'll make him my best.
- Uta

"Who's Uta?" I asked, looking down at the text.

He smiled. "Another old friend of mine. I haven't seen the bastard in over a year, I wonder what he's up to... Anyway, your heading to his place to get a mask." he explained.

Ghouls always got a mask, now I was getting one? This somehow made me excited, I wonder what I'll get. I heard their made on your personality...

"Hey, that grin of yours is creepy, knock it off." Said Vin, spinning in his chair.

I growl and kick him. "Oh shut up, where am i going?" I asked.

He smiles. "You can take the car this time, it's pretty far away, across the city."

"We have a car?!" I said in surprise.

He glares at me and breathes under his breath. "But if you scratch it, I'll cook you up for dinner..."

"What was that?" I asked, I heard him, i just wanted to make sure he actually said that. Vin can be scary sometimes.

"And get cleaned up before you leave, you look like Shit." He said, grinning at me.

. . .

I look in the mirror after my shower. My hair is wet and tangle, i straighten my bluish hair and get dressed, but before i can finish, a knock comes to my door.

(if you want a more better description of the OC, look at the book cover!)

I open it and see Kurona there, her arms crossed. She looks down at my bare chest, and i expect her to freak out or something, but she only stares, which make me nervous. "W-what?" i ask.

She tilts her head. "Do you work out?" she asked plainly.

I almost fall at the broad question, she has a way of messing with me. I laugh as i talk.

"Y-Yeah. I started to train since i got here, you told me to." I said.

She tilts her head again. "You took me seriously?"

this time I fall on my face.

I shake it off, grabbing my shirt and winter jacket.

"You want something?" I asked.

She pointed outside the window at the car. Was she coming with me? Oh well, it's not like i care, I'll have someone to talk to. But she isn't really the person to hold a conversation unless she talks first.

"Alright, let's go." I said, as i walked out the door and she followed close behind.

. . .

The 4th ward. I've never been before, so the streets and alleys were difficult to maneuver around. I still didn't know where I was going for this mask of mine, only the directions on the map told me.

I climb out of the car with Kurona as she leads me down a street. Then i see our destination, it looked like a bar of some sort. We're getting a mask right?

"What's wrong?" Asked Kurona.

I shrug. "This place is a bit creepy, is all."

She nods, agreeing with me, then walked into the door. I look at the screen and see what the place is called:

HySy ArtMask Studio

A mask studio? I guess they don't hide the fact that they make masks here. I wonder who this Uta guy is. Vin told me he was a bit scary before leaving, just how scary was he?

Inside, i take off my hood and scan the entire place, it was a mask studio inside alright. Masks outlines the walls and tables. This place was a bit creepy from the variety of them.

I walk through the room, and something catches my eye, I walk up to it and stare at the mask before me. it was encased with glass around it, was it important?

The mask was made of black leather, half of the upper face covered by an eye patch. The lower half was made to resemble teeth, a zipper to open it. Whoever wore this mask had to be the real deal, I guessed.

"Please don't touch that, its a friend's." Said a voice.

I look into the darkness of a doorway as a man stepped through. His eyes that of a ghouls, he smiled at me. His black hair dropped at both sides of his face, he wore baggy pants and a black jacket over a shirt.

"You Uta?" I asked.

"You Levin?" He countered.

We stared at each other, something about this guy, doesn't feel right at all. I sense deep chaos in him, the desire to destroy. He's dangerous, i need to be careful.

"You wanted to make me a mask?" I said, looking at the eye patch mask again.

He smiles. "Yes. I'll take you measurements, follow me, if you'll please." He said.

I flow him, Kurona is behind me, staying quiet. has she been here before? Probably, if she has a mask. I sit in a chair as Uta takes my measurements.

"So, who's that mask belong to?" I asked.

Uta flinched a bit, but went on with his work.

"It was owned by a boy who I had hopes for... but sadly, he's no longer with us... sort of." He said.

"Sort of?" I asked.

He laughs as he got done with the measurements and stood, walking over to the table with design things. "Sort of, yes. That's a story for another time."

I guess I'll let it go, someone he had hopes for? He sort of died? That's something that's gotta be explained in the future. I look at Kurona who's walking around the room, looking at the masks. I wonder what her mask looks like...

"So, little crow, I'll send you your mask tomorrow, i have to get to work." He said excitedly.

I stop before leaving and look back at him, he stood over a table, looking at a paper with many designs and materials.

"Who exactly are you?" I asked, glaring at him.

He smiles at me. "Just your average mask making ghoul."

I stare at him for a long time before walking out the door and meeting Kurona at the car.