Chapter 5

Your (e/c) eyes saw nothing but the white ceiling above you as you drifted into consciousness. For a few blissful seconds, you were unaware who and where you were. Then it all came flooding back. Arthur. Mom. The bus stop. You sat up quickly, looking at your watch you left on the nightstand. 9:30 am. "Maybe he's still asleep," you thought, "and I can leave before he wakes up." You quietly got up, making the bed before you put on your shoes and cardigan and grabbed your watch.

Slipping quietly out the bedroom door, you tiptoed down the hallway and were almost to the stairs when you heard the sounds of someone walking around downstairs. You headed down the stairs slowly and quietly, hoping to be out the door before he noticed you were gone.

Just as you were about to open the front door, a familiar voice behind you said, "(y/n)? Leaving so soon? That won't do. Come into the kitchen, love. I've made breakfast." Arthur smiled and walked back to the kitchen, and you followed him, silently cursing yourself for not being quicker. A scream broke the silence of your thoughts, your head snapping to attention.

The kitchen was ablaze.

Arthur was running around in a panic, yelling incoherently as he turned off the stove and grabbed an extinguisher from under the sink. A large whoosh of white foam erupted from the red can, covering your face and putting out the fire. Wiping your eyes, you saw the British man panting as he stared at was, at one point, a pan on the charred stove.

You walked cautiously over, eyeing the stove warily as if it could burst into flames at any moment. Arthur put away the extinguisher and got out a rag, handing it to you. As you wiped off your face and picked foam out if your (h/c) hair, he picked up the pan and put the whole thing into a trash can. "Well," he said, running a hand through his blonde hair, "I guess we'll have to go out to eat then. I know a nice little place a few blocks away. They serve good breakfast."

"Did somebody say breakfast?"

Your head whipped around, your eyes coming to a rest on the dirty blonde haired man in the doorway. "who's this little dudette, bro?" He continued, taking a few steps toward you. you turned to face him, taking a few steps backwards while not taking your (e/c) eyes off him. Arthur saw the fear in your eyes and stepped in between you and this stranger. "This," he said, giving the blue eyed man an annoyed look, "is (y/n). She's shy, so leave her be Alfred. Why are you here, anyway?"

"I just thought I'd stop by and say hi for once, o' brother of mine," Alfred said, smirking, " and what's a girl like her doing here? Doesn't she have real friends?" at this you cringed. You began to walk away quietly, going down the hall to avoid watching them argue. After closing the door to your guest room, you put your ear to it so you could at least hear what they were saying.

"See, now look what you've done! you've upset her! What is wrong with you, Alfred??"

"Calm down, dude. I didn't mean to do anything. Now answer me: what is she doing here??"

"I found her sitting at the bus stop last night. she hasn't said a word since she got here, and she might've before you and your big fat mouth came in and scared the living daylights out of her!"

"So you just let some random kid into your house?"

"Well I wasn't about to leave her out there! it was raining!"

"Okay dude. I'm sorry i scared your weird kidnapped child."

"Shut up! (y/n)'s not weird and I did not kidnap her!"

"Whatever, man. If you're done yelling at me, can I at least meet her?"

"I'll see if she wants to after you terrified her. Don't get your hopes up." You moved quietly away from your door as you heard footsteps approaching. A soft knock came from your door, and you heard Arthur say quietly, "(y/n)? My brother Alfred wants to meet you. Do you want to come out?" You opened the door a crack and one (e/c) eye stared back at Arthur's green ones. "You don't have to if you don't want to, love. I'm not going to make you." He said gently. You nodded and opened the door all the way, cautiously taking a step out.

Alfred stood by the counter, in the same place he was when you left the room earlier. "Hi! I'm Alfred, the hero! It's nice to meet you!" He said loudly, flashing a big, toothy grin. You gave a small smile and he grinned even bigger in return. "See?" he said to Arthur, who sat on the couch watching you in case you got frightened again, "She likes me!"

"Good for you. Now, we really should get going if we want to make it to the breakfast before the big rush starts. You can come too, Alfred, since I know you were going to ask." Arthur said, getting up and getting a coat off the rack. There was no way you could get out of this now. You followed silently as Arthur opened the front door for you, Alfred coming after you.