Yamaguchi Tadashi ~ Illness

Oh my...got some serious Yams feels in this one. I wanted to write something truly sad and heartbreaking, and Yamaguchi's innocence and cuteness fit this perfectly. Sorry! ;_;

~*~

Y/N loved Yamaguchi. Loved him probably more than her own mother. So when she was dropped with the bombshell that Yamaguchi had been diagnosed with a terminal illness that would kill him in three years, she didn't know how to react.

He told her at dinner, explained how he's known for a few days but didn't know how to tell her. The girl was silent for a couple of minutes, unable to process the fact that she would have to live the rest of her life without Yamaguchi. Once she regained the ability to move, Y/N got up from the table and ran over to her boyfriend, the freckled boy standing up upon her reaction, and hugged him.

She threw her arms around his neck and started to cry. Yamaguchi felt his heart break at the sound of his girlfriend's scream-like sobs, but he wrapped his arms around her nonetheless, letting their bodies sink to the ground and onto their knees.

He rubbed her back gently as he stroked the girl's hair, whispering sweet nothings to her. Yamaguchi wanted to cherish this moment, for he knew three years wasn't long enough to express to Y/N how much he loved her. And Y/N knew that too.

"It's not...long enough," the girl spoke in-between sobs.

Yamaguchi wanted to cry, but he couldn't. He had to be strong for his girlfriend, even if it meant carrying the despair on his shoulders.

"I know, I know," he cooed into the girl's hair as her tear-painted lashes tickled his neck.

"T-Tadashi," she managed to cry, but hiccuped into a fit of wracked sobs.

"I'm here," he whispered softly, squeezing her tighter.

"It's not long enough!" She cried. "I wanted t-to marry you, and start a family with you, a-and grow old with you! But we can never do that because you're..." Y/N stopped, unable to finish her sentence before bursting into tears again.

"Hey," Yamaguchi whispered, pushing the girl away and holding her at her waist.

By God, did she look broken. Her hair was a mess, hanging down her shoulders in frazzled knots. Her skin was blotchy, and cheeks moist with tears, stained with dry ones as well as wet ones. Her eyes were red and puffy and soaked with overflowing tears, causing her mascara to stain down her cheeks. And her hands - her whole body in fact - were trembling.

"You don't need me to do all those things with," he spoke softly, cupping Y/N's cheek in his warm palm and wiping her tears away with his thumb.

"B-but, you're the one I-" she hiccuped. "w-want to do all those things with," the girl choked out. "I want to be Y/N Yamaguchi, the mother of our children, the grandmother of our children's children!" She wailed. "It's not fair..."

Tadashi felt his heart drop at that. It's not fair...

It wasn't, but he had to live with it. Or at least die with it...Y/N would be the one going through all the pain, all the heartbreak. And she would be going through it alone...

He suddenly felt guilty, like it was his fault that Y/N had to suffer. And he hated that feeling; that feeling like you've let someone down, taken all that they've worked for and dropped it back onto their shoulders in one heap. He hated that feeling...

"I know it's not fair," he uttered, tucking a piece of stray hair behind Y/N's ear. "But you have to be strong. All I want to do for these three years is cuddle you and kiss you and be with you. So you have to be strong," he pleaded, a small, sad smile appearing faintly on his lips. "For me?"