Kageyama Tobio ~ Words

Thank you for requesting so sweetly Phan_Trash_No_1! This idea may be basic, but that makes it all the more easy to add my own personal spins and twists to it!

~*~

Being friends with Kageyama for a long time, you were able to tell when he wanted something or when he was trying to express his feelings towards something but couldn't - mainly because of his arrogant attitude and unwillingness to actually say things.

But, for once in your life, you were at a complete crossroads with the raven-haired boy.

He hadn't spoken to you for what felt like ages, and every time you approached him, he would either blush furiously or turn and walk/run away from you.

At first, you just thought that some things were going on that he didn't necessarily want to talk to you about; because sometimes that happened and he would go console Suga or someone from the team - someone of whom he didn't have such a strong bond with.

You knew that he feared that if he told you everything, you would grow a bit too weary of him, as that was just the type of person you were.

You would constantly worry about him and his safety even if what had happened was just a tiny fire started from him putting a fork in the microwave.

And with these kinds of things, Kageyama didn't like to tell you, and when he started to avoid you, you thought he would've told Suga, but when you asked the vice captain of the volleyball team, he'd told you that he hadn't heard anything from Kageyama.

And now you were just confused.

Why wasn't he talking to you? Did you do something wrong? Was he coming down with a fever? Was he secretly gay and felt like he couldn't tell you?

Ok, probably not the last one.

But whatever the reason was, you'd found yourself contemplating your mistakes(?) even in class, which resulted in you having to stand outside with two heavy buckets of water. ((yes, I'm ripping off Erased fite me.))

You didn't actually mind being sent out, as it gave you even more time to think about Kageyama - but when the boy himself was sent out for the same reason as you, you found yourself conflicted between whether to ask him what was wrong or not.

"Hi?" You said, squinting at Kageyama, who was completely unresponsive.

You put your two buckets down on the floor and took a step towards the boy, waving a hand in front of his face, trying to get his attention.

But as he continued to ignore you, you started to grow more and more agitated.

"Why are you ignoring me?" You asked irritably with a frown as you took a step back and placed a hand on your hip. "At least tell me what I've done wrong so I can put it right."

But still, Kageyama decided to ignore you, resulting in you grabbing a bucket from beside you and pouring the whole damn thing over his head, not caring about his clothes or the floor getting wet and you dropped the bucket and proceeded to storm off down the corridor.

You didn't care about getting a detention for truanting; the semester was nearly over anyway.

~*~

"And then she threw a bucket of water over me," Kageyama concluded, the team all staring at him, not uttering a word.

"Jeez, Kageyama," Sugawara broke the silence, rubbing the back of his head. "Just what did you do to her?"

"I was really trying!" The younger boy exclaimed in his defense. "But I couldn't find the right words to say!"

"Kageyama," Daichi chuckled, placing a hand on the boy's shoulder. "You don't need to do everything at once, you know that right?"

"I know that but-" he began but the older boy cut him off.

"But you still insist to tell her how you feel, and I'm pretty sure that if you suddenly confessed to her after weeks of practically ignoring her, then she'd feel pretty overwhelmed," Daichi explained, and Kageyama's expression softened into one of slight disappointment - more or less at himself.

"Don't mind, don't mind!" Nishinoya yelled, slapping his kouhai on the back as a way to cheer him up. "Just start off slowly then gradually work your way up to the confession."

"No, you don't understand," Kageyama replied, a tone of urgency in his voice. "Y/N already hates me and if she doesn't like my confession, then at least I won't have anything to lose. Whereas, if we become friends again, the hole in my heart would be filled only to be emptied again if she turns me down."

"Ahh, I see..." Suga sighed with a nod. "Well, I guess we should get to work then."

~*~

"Son of a--" you grumbled to yourself, leaning down to pick up your pencil case when a tanned hand reached out and picked it up for you, causing you to look up at who the hand belonged to.

"Can we talk?" Kageyama asked, and you sighed loudly before snatching your pencil case from him and stuffing it back in your school back and folding your arms across your chest.

((I'm sorry))

"Fine," you huffed out, and Kageyama gulped.

He'd never been this scared to just talk to you in his entire life, and when he pulled out a set of flash cards from his blazer pocket, you raised an eyebrow.

Sugawara facepalmed from behind a bush. "I told him not to use the flash cards."

Kageyama cleared his throat and began.

"Y/N L/N - I know I've been acting like a jerk for quite some time now, and I am very truly sorry. I would appreciate it if you would accept my apology and also listen to what I have to say--" he started, but didn't even get a chance to finish the first sentence when you snatched the flash cards from his hands and threw them behind you, the cards scattering like confetti.

Kageyama watched in horror as the cards blew away in the wind, then at you suddenly latching your arms around his neck and bringing yourself upwards so your face was just underneath his, causing him to blush intensely.

"Whatever you have to say, say it to my face," you teased softly, and Kageyama cleared his throat again, trying to regain his composure.

"I-It's k-kinda hard when you're s-s-so c-close to me," he stuttered like a nervous child, and you giggled, standing on your tip-toes to press a gentle kiss to his cheek.

"Use your big boy words, Tobio," you patronised him and Kageyama blushed even harder.

He didn't want to admit it, but Kageyama was so madly in love with you that his brain wouldn't even let him form his big boy words.

~*~

Oh my, I loved writing this so much.