Yaku Morisuke ~ Comforting

I just realised I haven't written a one-shot for this little shit yet so I thought 'why not?' After all, Yaku is like my second favourite character in Haikyuu!!

~*~

"Go on, Y/N!"

Cheers and yells erupted from the audience as your never-ending volleyball match against the girl's Seijoh team was drawing to an end.

You were well into the third set, with Aoba Johsai taking the first set, and the Nekoma girl's team taking the second set. Now the scores stood at 23-24, Seijoh's match point.

The ball came straight at you, and with your incredible skills as libero, you were able to stop the ball before it hit the ground, but your foot slipped, causing you to fall onto your knee and hit the ball off course.

"Gomen!" You yelled, picking yourself up off of the floor as you watched the ball fly over to your setter.

"Don't mind!" Your teammate, (friend's name) replied, getting ready to spike the ball.

That's when it all seemed to happen in slow motion.

The ball bouncing off of the setter's fingers, and the spiker jumping up to spike it, but it wasn't enough.

The spiker hit the ball, but Seijoh's blockers blocked it, and you dived towards the ball painfully, not being able to save it before it hit the floor - thus declaring Aoba Johsai's win.

The gymnasium was silent for a moment, until cheers from Seijoh's supporters in the audience erupted into the air. You bowed your head down as you lay on the ground, biting your lip as you brought a fist down to the ground forcefully.

Biting back tears, you looked up at Yaku, who was sitting in the audience with a sad smile on his face.

You lost. You lost one of the most important matches of your life, and it was all because of your terrible footing.

Suddenly, the guilt fell on your shoulders, and you couldn't help but let out a few tears as you trudged over to the back line of the court to line up.

~*~

"I'll catch up with you guys later; I'm gonna go meet Y/N," Yaku stated, and the Nekoma boy's volleyball team all turned around to look at the shorter male, with glum looks on their faces.

"Alright," Kuroo replied, nodding. "Make sure to give her a big hug. She needs it."

Yaku nodded before taking off in a sprint to the girl's changing room, where he would meet you.

You took your time changing, took your time in the shower - letting the hot water run down your back as your tears ran down your face with it.

After twenty minutes of crying and changing, you finally trudged out of the girl's changing room, and when Yaku saw you, he stepped off of the wall and looked at you worryingly.

Your eyes were red and puffy, obviously indicating that you had been crying, and Yaku felt his heart break when he saw the look in your eyes:

Defeat.

You looked up slowly to see your boyfriend standing in front of you, less than two metres away, and just seeing him there made you want to cry all over again.

You'd let him down, and you could see the sadness in his eyes.

"Hey," he cooed, smiling sadly as he held his arms out to you.

Yaku's embrace looked so welcoming and comforting to you, and you couldn't stop the tears falling from your eyes nor the sobs escaping your mouth as he took a step forward and wrapped his arms around you tightly.

You immediately wrapped your own arms around him, crying into the crook of his neck as he rubbed your back up and down reassuringly.

"You did well," he whispered softly. "It was just a stupid mistake, they happen to everyone."

Yaku could feel your tears dropping onto his shoulder and you tear-painted lashes brushing against his skin, but he didn't care. His heart was literally throbbing with the pain he felt when he saw your face just moments earlier, and he actually feared that you would never be the same.

"B-but we lost," you spoke between sobs.

"But you won the second set; that's something to be proud of," Yaku replied, his arms wrapped tightly around you. "The girl's Seijoh team is one of the best teams in the prefecture so you shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

"I'm so proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself too; because all of this is just practice for the nationals, and I know you'll make it there. You just have to hold your head high, shrug off defeat and keep on trying. And as long as you keep believing, I promise you'll go far, Y/N."

Your sobs turned to sniffles, and Yaku took that as his cue to let go of you, holding one of your hands in his as he cupped your cheek with the other - wiping away your tears with his thumb.

"I love you, ok?" He smiled, and you nodded.

"I love you too, Morisuke," you replied.

Yaku ran his thumb over your cheekbone once more before kissing you softly on your forehead and tugging at your hand.

"Come on," he whispered. "The guys are waiting for us and I'm betting they're going to throw a party just for you at the gym, regardless of whether or not you won or lost."

You felt a small smile creep up onto your face as you nodded, and the two of you started walking - hand in hand - down the corridor and towards the front door where, funny enough, the boy's Nekoma team were waiting for you.

~*~

Fuck it, this is my new favourite one-shot I've written 😂