Iwaizumi Hajime ~ Wasn't Expecting That

This is what you get when you mix a request for angst with a sad song that Courteney is listening to. God forgive me for what I'm about to write.

Requested by Iluvanimeandmanga17.

~*~

It was only a smile, but my heart it went wild,
I wasn't expecting that.
Just a delicate kiss, anyone could've missed,
I wasn't expecting that.

Iwaizumi generally hated food shopping, but he hated it even more given the fact that his roommate, Oikawa, had used up all the milk in the fridge then taken off to visit his family for the Christmas holidays without bothering to restock or even tell Iwaizumi that he had used up all the milk, so the boy was stuck in an empty apartment without milk or an annoying roommate to hit.

Sighing to himself, Iwaizumi turned into the dairy isle, walking up until he saw the last carton of milk on the other side and reached out to grab it.

But, at the same time, someone else reached out to grab the same carton of milk and the two ended up grabbing it at the same time.

Looking over at whoever decided to try and steal his milk, Iwaizumi softened up upon seeing it was a girl, her (eye colour) eyes glistening in the light of the supermarket.

She was wearing the normal winter attire - boots, coat, scarf, hat, gloves - but there was something about her rosy cheeks and red nose that made Iwaizumi feel a little sorry for her, and so he let go of the carton of milk and gave the girl a smile.

"Don't worry, you can have it," he insisted, and the girl looked up at him with a little but of guilt in her eyes.

"Are you sure? You look like you're in a hurry; wouldn't it be better for you to take it?" She asked, holding the carton of milk out to Iwaizumi.

Iwaizumi shook his head politely, still smiling at the girl as he reached for a carton of skimmed milk next to the empty block where the semi-skimmed milk used to be.

"Nah, I'm pretty sure you had it first. Plus, my roommate could stand to lose a few pounds," he joked, and the girl giggled a little, a sound that made Iwaizumi's heart race.

Holding her mittened hand out to him, the girl introduced herself.

"I'm L/N Y/N," she said, the smile on her face never fading even after Iwaizumi shook her hand with his own.

"Iwaizumi Hajime," he replied, and the two headed towards the cashier together.

"So, are you from around here or are you just visiting?" Iwaizumi asked as he and Y/N left the store and started walking down the street.

"Oh, no, I live here," Y/N answered, nodding. "My friend and I are sharing an apartment at the college complex just down the road."

"Really?" Iwaizumi asked in shock, looking over at Y/N. "My friend and I live in the same complex too. What floor are you on?"

"Sixth," Y/N answered simply, and Iwaizumi smiled again.

"Mind if I drop you off?" He asked. "I'm on the seventh floor so it'd be no trouble at all."

Y/N's face seemed to light up at the idea of getting to spend more time with Iwaizumi in a day, and she nodded sweetly.

"Sure, I'd love that," she answered, and the two of them spent the duration of the journey home talking about their collage majors and what their roommates were like, and before they even knew it, they were standing outside Y/N's apartment door a little awkwardly.