Azumane Asahi ~ Anxiety

It's been a while since I wrote something for this ball of anxiety *flashbacks to Period Pains as one single tear rolls down my cheek* so enjoy!

~*~

Sometimes Asahi really hated his anxiety. He hated it because it stopped him from showing and telling Y/N how much he loved her. He was really shit at showing emotions, and Y/N would always have to be the one to make the first move. And even though she had reassured him that it was fine, Asahi still couldn't help but feel like a bad boyfriend.

He wanted to be able to comfort Y/N when she needed it, not just give her a shy hug and listen to her cry. He wanted to be able to tell Y/N he loved her without becoming a blushing, stuttering mess. He just wanted to get over his fear of rejection and be the boyfriend Y/N needed him to be. So, he went to the only two people he could think of for advice.

Daichi and Suga.

Being best friends with them since his first year, Asahi knew he could always count on them for advice and help, and this time it was serious.

Y/N and Asahi had been dating since middle school and it had gotten to that stage in their relationship where he wanted to marry her, no joke. He knew it was stupid - they were still in high school and exams were just around the corner - but he was madly in love with Y/N and he couldn't wait much longer.

He wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, and Y/N wanted to do the same, so he thought of proposing to her now, then getting married after college and when they had enough money. He was certain about this, and even had his ring ready, but with every good thing, there comes a bad thing.

He was too nervous to ask Y/N to marry him.

"What if she says no? What if she's not ready? What if she thinks I'm moving too fast and wants to break up with me? What if she tells her friends-?"

"Asahi, breathe," Suga instructed, placing a hand on his back. "You're overthinking this."

Asahi did as Suga told him. He took deep breaths in and out, trying to rid himself of his upcoming anxiety attack.

"We all know Y/N and she wouldn't do that," Daichi reassured from across the table at the cheap diner they were at. "She knows that you have really bad anxiety and she wouldn't do anything to provoke it."

"Yeah," Suga agreed. "If she's not ready, then that's fine. She's not going to leave you because you love her so much that you want to marry her. But you have to understand that if she's not ready, then you have to wait."

"You two have your whole lives ahead of you, which is plenty of time to get married and be happy together, but she definitely won't leave you because you love her," Daichi concluded, and Suga slapped Asahi on the back reassuringly.

"Now, let's see that ring, eh?"

~*~

He was going to do it at the end of volleyball practice. Solely because he made the mistake of telling the entire team, and Noya and Hinata were having a hard time keeping it to themselves whenever Y/N was around. But also because the team were happy for him, and if Y/N did say no, then they were always there to cheer him up or give him CPR - whichever came first.

"Ready to go, Asahi?" Y/N asked, smiling sweetly as she tilted her head towards the door.

"Uh, y-yeah, there's just s-something I need to do first," he stuttered, rushing over to Daichi and Suga before Y/N even got a chance to reply.

"I can't do this," he whispered once the three of them were huddled in a circle together.

"Yes you can," Daichi insisted, giving Asahi a nod.

"We're all here for you," Suga replied, patting him on the shoulder.

Asahi took a deep breath and turned back around, his eyes falling on Hinata and Noya who were giving him the fingers crossed sign. Next to them was Tanaka, Ennoshita and the other second years, who all gave him big smiles and thumbs ups. Then next to them were Tsukishima and Yamaguchi, who gave him little nods of reassurance.

At that moment, Asahi felt relief. Everyone was rooting for him, and he couldn't let them down, otherwise he would never be able to forgive himself.

He took a step towards Y/N, who was still smiling beautifully, and took her hands in his.

"Asahi, what are you-?"

"Y/N, listen to me," he cut her off. "I know this is going to sound really cliché and out of the blue, but I love you. And not just love you in the way everybody says it, but I love you, probably even more than my own mother! I just love you and everything about you - your hair, your eyes, your smile, your laugh, everything, and whenever I look at you it hurts. It hurts because I want you to be so much more than just my girlfriend. It's so easy for boys to come in and sweep you away when you're my girlfriend, but if you were my wife, then everybody would know and I wouldn't have to be hurting all the time."

Much to Y/N's surprise, Asahi got down on one knee, letting of one of her hands to reach into his back pocket.

"I know this is really sudden, and it's ok if you're not ready because I can wait, but the question I really want to ask you is..."

He let go of her other hand to open the box in his hand, revealing a beautiful (favourite gem) ring. Y/N's eyes widened in shock as she pressed her hands to her mouth.

"Will you marry me?"

The entirety of the gymnasium fell silent, everybody eagerly awaiting Y/N's answer, Asahi mostly. In his head, he was crediting himself for not stuttering at all during his proposal, and if Y/N did say no, then at least he had that to celebrate.

"Y-you don't have to, I can wait until we're older, I just wanted to be able to tell you how much I love you because-"

"Yes," Y/N suddenly answered, interrupting Asahi abruptly.

Tears filled her eyes as she nodded, kneeling down to Asahi's height.

"Yes, I will marry you," she repeated, throwing her arms around Asahi's neck so suddenly that he fell backwards, Y/N landing on top of him.

A huge, goofy smile spread across his face as he pressed his lips to hers, kissing her passionately as the gymnasium erupted with cheers, claps and wolf whistles.

"I love you, Y/N," Asahi mumbled against Y/N's lips, not being able to fight off the smile spreading across his own.

"I love you too, Asahi, very very much."

~*~

I think I made Asahi a little OOC towards the end but oh well.