Yamaguchi Tadashi ~ Somewhere Only We Know

Yams was requested by @Akaashi_the_setter so I hope you enjoy!

~*~

I walked across an empty land.
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand.

Gently running her hand along the dry bark, Y/N smiled to herself.

It had been so long since she had been to Japan, and now that she was back, she would be staying for good.

She recognised the scenery immediately, as she remembered always playing in the snow in that very same spot with her best friend, Yamaguchi Tadashi.

She remembered where everything used to be; the see-saw, the old swingset, the roundabout, everything. All of it was so nostalgic to the girl and she loved the feeling of being able to remember all the great times she had had as a child.

I felt the earth beneath my feet.
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

"W-what?"

Y/N averted her gaze from her best friend, letting her tears fall on the ground rather than run down her face.

"I'm sorry, Tadashi," she whispered, sniffling as more tears spilled out from her eyes. "My dad got a new job in (random country) so we're moving there."

Yamaguchi couldn't believe it.

His best friend, who also happened to be his crush, was moving away.

Y/N was the only one who Yamaguchi could truly be himself around and now that she was going, well...

"W-will you ever come back?" He asked, his voice cracking, which made Y/N start to sob as she grabbed his hands in her own and looked up at him, tears swimming around her vision.

"Yes!" She cried. "I promise I'll come back! I'll come back just in time for our first year of high school, and then we can both join the volleyball teams and become the best volleyball players in the world!"

Yamaguchi smiled, looking forward to seeing his best friend again.

"Ok," he nodded, and Y/N smiled back at him. "How about I push you on the swingset one last time for good memories?"

Y/N felt her smile widen as she nodded and pulled her best friend over to the pristine swingset that they both loved, both of them aware that this would be the last time they ever got to have fun together.

Oh simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting tired and I need someone to rely on...

Looking over at the old swingset now, Y/N could safely say it wasn't pristine anymore.

The object was old and rusty and looked like it was about to fall apart at the seams, something that made Y/N cringe.

She remembered when Yamaguchi once pushed her too high on the swings and she fell off, and Yamaguchi couldn't stop apologising, even though the girl had assured him she was fine.

Reminiscing on her old childhood memories made Y/N's smile turn to a frown, and pretty soon she was crying.

She missed Yamaguchi and she wanted him to miss her too, but there was no chance of her ever finding him, as he could've moved countries!

They were too young to have phones when Y/N first moved away, so they had no way of staying in contact. And all throughout her teen years, Y/N had tried finding Yamaguchi on social media but to no avail...

She just wanted to see his pretty freckled face one last time...

"Y/N?"

And if you have a minute, why don't we go?
Talk about it somewhere only we know.

Upon hearing her name, Y/N turned around, only to be met with those pretty brown eyes she had longed to see for the past ten years.

Her own eyes widened at the sight of the boy in front of her, and how much he had changed - yet stayed the same.

Yamaguchi still had his perfect freckles, but he had bulked up a bit while Y/N was away, which was always a good thing.

But, still, she couldn't believe that he was here, right in front of her.

It all seemed like it was too good to be true...

"Tadashi?"

'Cus this could be the end of everything.
So why don't we go?
Somewhere only we know...

Before she knew what she was doing, Y/N had launched herself into Yamaguchi's arms, hugging him tightly as she cried into his chest.

He still smelt the same as he did ten years ago, like green apples and olives, and Y/N had grown to love that familiar scent even while she was away.

She felt Yamaguchi's strong arms wrap around her in a tight embrace, and suddenly, she felt safe.

It was almost as if she had never left in the first place, and everything stayed the same, and as she was wrapped around in Yamaguchi's loving embrace, she didn't want the moment to end.

And, right in the moment, Yamaguchi felt a tear slip down his face as he whispered:

"I finally found you."

Somewhere only we know...

~*~

This sucked ass but hooray! I was originally going to make this an angst but it was one in the morning when I wrote this and I really didn't want to be crying. But, anyway, I hope you enjoyed this really shitty songfic.