Kozume Kenma ~ Prom

Look at our little Pudding-chan. ^.^ I am proud to announce that this picture is my phone's wallpaper. I've changed the way I write these one-shots because I find myself writing "you" and "your" a lot more than "she" and "her" in drafts, so I hope you prefer it this way!

Also, requested by grenda2911

~*~

You hated prom.

So far, everything had gone to shit. Your date, who also happened to be your crush, had asked you to prom and you gladly accepted, telling your friends about it straight after. But when he completely stood you up, not even bothering to text you saying he couldn't make it, you decided tonight was the worst night of your life. You had no intention of drinking, and even though your friends did, you didn't. After all, you were the designated driver.

So you just sat there in the corner of the crowded hall at an empty table which you shared with your friends and your dates, but they were all busy dancing with each other to even acknowledge you. Soon enough, the pain grew too much. Watching all these happy couples dancing with one another and kissing eachother made you feel so empty, and it hurt. So you stood up, fighting off the tears in your eyes and the lump in your throat, and made your way outside, the smell of alcohol filling your nostrils as you walked past the drinks table.

You needed fresh air, and once you got it, you couldn't be more happy. It was a beautiful night out, and the stars were shining brightly in the sky along with the moon as their guide. You sighed sadly as you sat down on the stairs, resting your elbow on your knee and your chin in your hand. Seems like you got all dressed up for nothing.

As the night slowly dragged on, your best friend Kenma began to grow worried about you. He'd noticed that you weren't at your table and reckoned that you had gone to the toilet. But after thirty minutes passed and you still weren't back, he decided to go and look for you.

Kenma never really wanted to go to prom, but Kuroo had told him that he only got the chance once, and practically forced him to come. Seeing as how Kenma knew he would be attached to his phone all night, he made Lev look after it so he could actually enjoy the night, but he spent most of it watching as everyone else was having fun with their dates.

Kenma wanted to ask you badly to the prom, but when he heard you had a date, it was difficult for him to put on a brave smile for you. Even though he did, and learned to deal with the pain, he couldn't help but feel jealous. There was some other guy entering your life and taking you away from Kenma, which made him angry as well as jealous, but when this guy didn't even turn up, he was even more angry, and soon made it his mission to find you.

He pushed through the crowd if sweaty bodies and such and made his way to the school's entrance, his shoes making a clacking noise as his footsteps echoed throughout the empty corridor. He stuffed his hands into his trouser pockets and proceeded in walking down the corridor, admiring how good he looked in a tux.

Once he stepped outside, the cold air immediately attacked him, but he dismissed that when he saw you. A pang of sadness struck his heart as he heard your faint sniffles, though muffled by the wind, still perfectly audible to him. No guy, no matter how fit or popular he was, had the right to treat you like that in his eyes.

"Y/N?" He asked from behind you, causing you to jump slightly.

Kenma came and sat down next to you, the smell of his cologne hitting your nose as the smell of your perfume hit his.

"God, Pudding-chan, don't do that," you laughed, playfully punching him in the arm as you wiped your tears away, smudging your mascara in the process.

"Sorry," Kenma muttered, staring off in the distance intently as he tried not to stare at how good you looked in your (favourite colour) dress.

The two of you were silent for a few minutes, listening to the wind whistling in the distance and the sound of eachother's breathing, before Kenma spoke up suddenly.

"(boy's name) is a dick," he said, surprising you by the fact he swore.

"Yeah," you sighed, resting your head back on your hand. "I know."

Kenma fought off the urge to say "now come inside and dance with me" and instead settled for "you shouldn't waste your time on guys like him."

You scoffed. "Yeah, well, I wish I knew that before I got all dressed up for nothing."

"I think you look beautiful," Kenma blurted out before he even knew what he was saying, and you both felt your cheeks heat up.

"I-I'm sorry, that kind of...slipped out-"

"It's fine," you reassured, straightening out any creases in your dress. "You don't look too bad in that tux either," you couldn't resist smiling a little as you kept your eyes trained on your dress, but you saw Kenma's cheeks flush even more at that.

Silence encased the two of you again as you both strained to look anywhere else but at eachother. Both of you were really close friends, and you secretly liked Kenma. But you refused to make it obvious to avoid the embarrassment and instead pretended you liked someone else.

Even though you had no shame in liking Kozume, you didn't want people telling him and then having to risk everything being awkward between the two of you if he didn't feel the same way. So, for now, you kept your feelings locked away in a steel box inside of your heart.

"Why aren't you inside?" You asked curiously, turning your head to look at Kenma.

"I wanted to find you," he answered quietly, looking at you in return. "I was worried. Either you had gone somewhere or you were just taking a really bug dump."

You laughed loudly at this, and Kenma struggled to fight off the smile perking at the corner of his lips at the sound of your beautiful laugh.

"Well, now that you found me, I was wondering..." You started nervously, wringing your hands in front of you. "If you wanted to go someplace else."

You looked up at Kenma who nodded in approval, and you felt a surge of relief run through your body as he stood up, helping you up shortly after. You brushed off the dirt on your dress with one hand while the other was still latched onto Kenma's, and neither of you thought about letting go. In fact, during your walk out of the school gates, you both interlaced fingers, your heartbeat picking up rather quickly as you both walked out of the school gates, and down the street, not exactly sure of where you were going.

But destination didn't matter. You were just happy to be here, holding your little Pudding-chan's hand as the two walked in silence. Kozume too.

~*~

Pudding-chaaaaaaan!