Azumane Asahi ~ Beauty and the Beard

(grenda2911 came up with the title btw god bless)

Ayy, thank you so much for requesting this teddy bear SumsCake because you and I have already clarified that this boy deserves more love ^^.

~*~

Most people had always seen Asahi as that one dude you didn't want to mess with, being Karasuno's ace and all, he could probably knock someone out in a second - not that he would ever want to.

Deep down he could be as caring as Suga, and as dependable as Daichi. He could even be wild like Noya if he wanted to! But nobody ever gave him a chance to be who he really was, all because of his appearance.

Asahi would be lying if he said he never wanted to change, but he was sort of afraid to. He believed that he had no significance in anybody else's life, and that he was simply put on this planet as a filler.

Consider it a little deep, but all of these thoughts came from people being scared of him, and never even hearing him out just because he looked a little scary.

Asahi though he had hit rock bottom then, but when he met Y/N, he had to think twice.

She had approached him, and she wasn't afraid to.

That was a big turning point in Asahi's life, and he never thought he would actually see the day when he was comfortable living in his own skin.

But Y/N made him see that it was ok to be different, and that there was nothing wrong with him even if he thought there was.

She was the type of girl who could simply say 'I love you' but make it sound like a whole eulogy of romantic words and phrases, and she never lied or oversold her love for Asahi, as what was the point of doing that? She believed that if she had something to say - as long as it was positive - then she would say it, and never sugarcoat it just to satisfy someone.

If it didn't satisfy them, then she wouldn't worry about it. She would just keep saying whatever came to mind because it was the best way of showing true love.

And Asahi loved it.

~*~

"Asahi!" Y/N squealed as soon as she heard the front door open and close, running over to her boyfriend and attacking her in a tight hug.

Asahi stumbled back a bit before looking down at Y/N and hugging her back, wrapping his large arms around her petite shoulders.

"I'm really sorry I couldn't come and watch you at volleyball practice today! Something popped up at home and I had to hurry off after school, but I thought about stopping by here for when you got home," she explained, which answered the question of why she was at Asahi's house rather than her own.

"It's ok, thanks for thinking of me," Asahi smiled, kissing Y/N on the forehead before letting go of her and taking off his shoes. "How was your day?"

"It was fine," she answered, skipping into the kitchen to prepare some food for Asahi. "But Hinata wouldn't stop pestering me for tosses at lunchtime. He was all like 'Y/N-senpai! Y/N-senpai! Please toss to me! Please-!'"

Y/N's impression of Hinata was soon cut short when Asahi stepped into the kitchen and wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, burying his face in the crook of her neck and sniffling.

And it took Y/N a few more sniffles to realise that he was crying, feeling his tear-painted lashes tickle the skin of her neck.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She cooed, turning around from the counter she was working at to cup Asahi's face and wipe his tears away with her thumb.

Sniffling, Asahi let more tears roll down his stubbly cheeks, with Y/N wiping them away as they fell, before he finally plucked up the courage to look his girlfriend in the eye.

And it was then that he realised how pathetic he was.

The look in Y/N's eyes was enough to make him want to start crying again; she looked so worried and it physically hurt Asahi, and he didn't want to feel this pain.

He was crying about something so stupid and childish that it made him think he wasn't worth Y/N's worry.

Rumours.

Spreading around like a virus, and it had progressed to looks in the corridor and even rumours about Y/N, which he couldn't stand.

Everyone was scared of him, so why wouldn't Y/N be? He just didn't understand...

Wriggling out of Y/N's grip, Asahi moved away from the girl and rubbed his eyes furiously before looking up at her again.

"I'm sorry you had to see me like this, Y/N," he apologised, his voice cracking mid-sentence. "I'm fine now, really."

But Y/N wasn't buying it. She still had that look of worry on her face that made Asahi feel so useless, and he knew it wouldn't be going away so easily.

"Honey, I can't just ignore this," she said, taking a step towards Asahi and taking his hands in her smaller ones. "You always listen to me rant, so now it's my turn. Come on."

And pretty soon, the two of them were curled up on the couch under a sea of blankets, the lights dimmed to a fair extent where they could still see each other's pretty faces.

"Tell me what's wrong, baby," Y/N cooed, lacing her fingers with Asahi's.

He had stopped crying now, but Y/N just couldn't get the sight of it out of her head. It was so upsetting to see someone as kindhearted as Asahi crying, mainly because he never cried.

"Tell me, Y/N, honestly. What do you see in me?" He asked, and I suppose it was an understatement to say that Y/N was surprised by that question, because she never imagined it coming from Asahi of all people.

"Well, that's easy," she giggled, trying to lighten the mood. "I see everything I could ever want in a man, right here inside of you.

"Sure, you may be a bit slow at noticing things, but that doesn't really affect me. You're sweet, impossibly patient, kind and you're so handsome," she answered, cupping both of Asahi's cheeks to squish them together, giggling again. "But most of all, I see a man who's had to go through so much to be where he is now. I mean, you've endured so much crap from people judging you just because of your beard and I'm proud of you for that. Like, there's nothing wrong with your beard! I love it because it makes you look so manly and mature but that's besides the point. You shouldn't care what other people think about you because they're not the people in control of your life, ok?"

Even though it was hard for him, Asahi nodded and even managed to smile for Y/N, who was beaming right back at him.

"And besides," she smirked, crawling on top of Asahi and so she was above him, leaning down so her face was just inches away from his, their lips grazing for a second before she spoke. "They're not the ones receiving your tender kisses every day."

~*~

I have a goal - a pretty stupid goal but still a goal - and it is to get 100k reads by the end of this year because that would mean so much shit to me you can't even imagine. Bring on the unrealistic dream!