Kuroo Tetsurou ~ The Promise

Ok, hUGE angst warning here so proceed with caution. Also, kinda triggering :/

Soulmate AU where you feel the same emotional and physical pain as your soulmate.

~*~

Today, you don't want to get out of bed.
There are so many thoughts in your head.
Like you'd be better off dead, better off dead
But let me tell you,
There's a whole world waiting for you.
It's hard to believe but it's true, whoa oh
So just hold on for me, hold on for me.

'Cause I believe if you go,
My heart would break, just hold on one more day.

Tears streamed down (f/n's) face as she curled up in bed, not wanting to move or do anything. Today was another day; another day of reckless self-harming and covering up her arms in fear that people would see her cuts. All the girl wanted to do was fall asleep and never wake up again. She was so sick and tired of living in fear and depression, but at the same time she was scared to tell anyone.

Kuroo, on the other hand, knew all of this. He felt it too. He felt the trauma and suffering going through his soulmate's body, and he felt so useless for not being able to help. It was near enough impossible for him to help anyway because (f/n) lived on the other side of the world, all the way in (home country), whereas he lived in Japan. He tried being happy, for (f/n's) sake, but her depression always seemed to overthrow his happiness, even to the extent of him feeling depressed.

Because you are so beautiful, whoa oh,
I promise you this, I promise you this
And you are more than capable, whoa oh
Just believe in yourself when nobody else is listening.

When (f/n) began self-harming, she had no idea that her soulmate would feel the pain and that the cuts would appear on his skin. She didn't know how this whole soulmate thing worked, therefore she didn't know that Kuroo would have to go through her pain with her. (f/n) wasn't selfish, she was actually really kind, so if she knew that the pain she endured on herself was going straight to her soulmate, she would try to stop. But it wasn't that easy...

When the cuts began appearing on Kuroo's arms, everyone was starting to get worried, especially Kenma.

"What happened to you, Kuroo?" He asked when the third-year entered the gym, the red cuts clearly visible on his skin. "Are you self-harming?"

Kuroo raised an eyebrow as if to say "what the hell are you talking about?" but then he remembered the cuts on his arms and looked down at them.

"N-no, it's...my soulmate," he admitted nervously, and the team stared at him sadly.

"She's a-" Yaku began, but Kuroo cut him off.

"Yeah," he interrupted, looking down at his trainers.

Silence encased the gymnasium as Kuroo felt a burning sensation go across the skin of his arm, but he was used to it by now. It broke his heart to know that (f/n) was torturing herself this way, and it broke his heart even more knowing he couldn't do anything about it.

All he wanted to do was hold her while she cried into his chest and tell it would be ok, that he was here and he loved her, but he couldn't do so much as even text her!

Suddenly, the pain in his arm grew and Kuroo hissed in pain, looking down at his arm to see a freshly new cut being sliced across the skin.

"Kuroo, you're-"

"It's fine," he interrupted, covering his arm with his hand. "You guys start practicing while I clean this up."

Before anyone could even argue, Kuroo was gone, running out of the gym and to the boys' bathroom. He wanted all of this to stop, wanted his soulmate to know she was beautiful, at least to him...

But he couldn't fucking tell her...

And I may not even know your name,
But I promise you I've felt the same.
As you do right now, you'll make it somehow
And even if you feel as though you have no friends
Except the blade that cuts your skin
You're better than this, you're worth more than this.

And I believe if you go my heart would break
Just hold on one more day.

One day, (f/n) was rushed to hospital.

She'd overdosed on paracetamol, there being no space on her skin to slit her wrists anymore, and collapsed in her bedroom during the night.

Kuroo had moved to (home country) on a trial for a month as he was studying that country as part of a geography project, and also because he wanted to test his luck at meeting his soulmate.

He was staying with a host family for the month, and when he suddenly collapsed at the dinner table, he too was rushed to hospital.

"Kuroo, is it?" The nurse asked once Kuroo was awake, and he nodded. "Do you have any idea of how this happened?"

Kuroo shook his head, the bandages covering his arms starting to itch.

"I think all of this was my soulmate's doing," he answered, and the nurse nodded.

The nurse turned around to leave, but Kuroo suddenly thought of an idea. If he was in (home country) and was rushed to hospital because of (f/n), then surely she was in the same hospital as him. This was his chance.

"Walt, can you tell me the name of the patient brought here when I was?" He asked, and the nurse flicked through her notes before smiling at the boy.

"(f/n) (l/n)," she answered. "She's in room B-3 which is just down the corridor from here. Feel free to visit her whenever you like, Kuroo."

Kuroo nodded. "Thank you."

The nurse smiled before leaving the room, and Kuroo made no hesitation in getting up out of his bed and finding his crutches. As he grabbed them, his heart suddenly felt warm, and he couldn't fight off the smile on his face.

He was going to meet his soulmate.

Because you are so beautiful, whoa oh
I promise you this, I promise you this.
And you are more than capable, whoa oh
Just believe in yourself when nobody else is listening.

Kuroo crutched himself as quickly as he could to (f/n's) room, the door seeming further and further away from him with every step he took. His heart was pounding inside of his chest as excitement filled his body. He couldn't believe he was finally going to meet her. He couldn't wait to hug her and tell her she was beautiful and that he was trying to do something back in Japan but what can you do when you're half a million miles away?

And If you go I think my heart would break
And if you go I think my heart would break
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...

Kuroo took a deep breath as he turned the handle to the door and slowly opened it. His eyes immediately found (f/n's) and they both stared at eachother for what seemed like forever until the two felt tears blur their vision.

"You're so beautiful," Kuroo whispered, but loud enough for (f/n) to hear, and the girl climbed out of her bed before running over to Kuroo and throwing her arms around his neck and crying hard into his chest. Kuroo sobbed a little as he rubbed her back up and down reassuringly, shushing her and running a hand through her hair.

"I'm sorry," she cried and Kuroo hugged her tighter.

"Don't be," he replied softly. "I love you. So much."

Because you are so beautiful, whoa oh
I promise you this, I promise you this.
And you are more than capable, whoa oh
Just believe in yourself when nobody else is listening,
You are so beautiful whoa oh
I promise you this, I promise you this
And you are more than capable, whoa oh
Just believe in yourself when nobody else is listening.

~*~

❤️❤️❤️