Café Encounter - Park Jimin

"He should've died with her"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimin was never an entirely lucky man.

At least he thought so.
For everything he did, seemed to have unthinkable aftermaths.

Who on Earth could've known that right after Jimin moved out to the main city for university, his mother would've befallen ill to disease?
Certainly not Jimin, in his and his family's eyes, his mother was a healthy but ageing woman; seemingly immune to any disease, even one that they could not afford to treat.

Alas, Jimin's mother was admitted to the hospital two weeks after moved in with his aunt, who was kind to let him stay with him.
He couldn't do much, for he was a student going to an Arts school on the grounds of a faithful scholarship, albeit he is extremely talented.

He could only pray for his mother's recovery, which seemed further away, every single day.
It was only a month after that, when the building collapse happened.

He... wasn't exactly a victim.
He was a helpless bystander, to his aunt's disastrous end.

They had gone shopping, the mall was a wonderful place.
His aunt was a lovely woman, she didn't deserve death in such a way.

Jimin had ran outside, not knowing that his aunt wasn't following him.
The panic that he felt when he couldn't find her overtook him, he almost became a martyr and went back inside of not for the building tumbling down at that moment.

He felt so guilty.

His aunt had lived the event.
Not the aftermath, no she died the second day she was put in the hospital for her injuries.

"Jimin-ah, don't act so down. You make me feel bad. Cheer up dear, you can still live in the house. The financial situation is fine, you'll be fine without me."

Throughout the countless I love yous and You don't have to worrys, Jimin was still taunting himself.

He should've died with her.

One day, a week after the funeral where he didn't interact with any of the family members attending, he thought going to the café after a lecture would be comforting.
With sleepless nights and endless self-inflicted tormenting, Jimin was trying to find hope.

Like his aunt said, he wasn't in financial trouble, he would be stable for a while, even longer as he landed himself a job at a prestigious firm.
That achievement at his age made the weight on his shoulders lessen, but only by a bit.

With distant eyes and a soft voice, almost too quiet to hear, he asked the barista for a strong black coffee.
Something bitter to wake him up to an even more bitter life.

He felt despair at the worst moments.

It wasn't that he was depressed, no Jimin was still a happy guy.
He just felt chained down by demons, he felt as though that day could've gone so different.

He wish he could go back in time and start that day over again, him and his aunt wouldn't go to the mall.
He would pretend to be ill and selfishly ask her to stay home and look after him,

Or that he was revising hard for a difficult and made up exam.
Or that he thought that his aunt should stay home while he thinks of an event to surprise her with- anything!

Anything... other than that day.
That day where he felt like the sinning shadow towering over good.

As he received his order and proceeded to sit at a table of two, he let the warm attack of black engulf his mouth.
His tongue evidently disagreeing but his troubled soul agreeing.

The café bell sounded, signalling the entrance of a new customer.
Today was not a busy day, much to Jimin's satisfaction.

He did not need his misery on display for every passerby watching.

Sighing, he got a cube of sugar and plopped it into his cup, stirring with a spoon and watching the minister particles dissolve.
His eyelids lifted up to the soft feminine voice at the counter.

The new customer, of course, who else who it be?
He needed distractions, watching people proved to be one, despite how rude and eerie it would be.

She asked for a caramel macchiato, with more sugar added.
From his vantage voice, Jimin could barely see the smile the young woman gave the barista, something that he didn't even think of.

He would have to leave a tip for sure.

What he turned his attention to however, was her eyes.
The joy did not reach them.

Sad eyes.
Just like his.

As the woman waited, he watched her looked behind her with curiosity before looking around the rest of the café skeptically.
Her gaze landed on Jimin and he couldn't look away.

The pang of familiarity felt by the two of these people was uncanny.
They both saw the sadness, the fatigue and the ache in each other's eyes.

'He's like me, isn't he?'
'She's like me, isn't she?'

The End ♥️

This was actually taken from my English Exam answer lol

This was actually taken from my English Exam answer lol. I obviously changed names and a few details but I'm glad this passage worked out well, I couldn't just keep this to myself. I felt really proud with the high level I got with this since it was pretty challenging, hope you like it too ♥️