Professional 'Interview'? - Jeon Jungkook

"Ask me out," she suggested, standing up with all her things as she got ready to depart, "and you'll find out."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jungkook sat in the cosy café near his high school, drinking coffee as he scrolled through his phone. Once in a while, he would look out the window adjacent to him, eyes on the lookout for a certain someone.

He would've been home, playing video games, if he didn't agree to meet an acquaintance from school. Though, he should've expected to wait for a while since he arrived twenty minutes early.

A barista asked if he wanted anything to eat, to which he declined and sighed once the employee left. He was starting to think this was a bad idea.

He didn't like waiting, it made him bored and restless. Yet, he was very intrigued by his fellow classmate. She was a self-proclaimed journalist at their school and was conducting little interviews of as many students in their senior year as she could before they left to their respective colleges.

He heard from a friend that she was planning to post everything on a blog for their peers, and he thought it was thoughtful. Said friend pushed Jungkook to have an interview, as the 'popular boy' in school.

Sure, he was good at academics, sports and art but he wasn't the school heartthrob. He didn't really want that either.

Soon enough, the café door opened with a chime of the bell to show the very person he was waiting for. It put a smile on his face when he realised how precisely punctual she was.

She was still in her school uniform, bespectacled eyes searching for him amongst the noisy café. Strange, it would seem he tuned out all the sounds and focussed on the warm ambience.

Outstretching his arm, he waved towards her. Clutching her brown and rustic sac banane, she recognised him and careened over.

"Sorry if I kept you waiting, I was held back at school," she said as a greeting, sitting in the seat opposite him with a deep sigh.

"Didn't strike me as the type to get detention, Y/N. Forget homework or something?" he asked, perhaps coming off as more condescending than he would've liked.

Cocking her right eyebrow up, she smirked. "You don't strike me as the type to come early to a meeting with a person you don't know— and I wasn't in detention. I was helping a friend."

Jungkook nodded at the latter piece of information, before chuckling, "you thought I'd be late?"

He liked how she didn't seem to shrink at his words, though he cursed at himself for sounding rude earlier.

"I thought you wouldn't show up." Y/N replied instantly, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear. "I was wrong, considering the fact that you arrived before me and your attire," she continued, referring to Jungkook's casual top and jeans. "Comfy."

"Well, assumptions got the best of both of us. I'm pretty interested in your 'work' and thank you. You don't look too bad yourself." He said, waving over a barista for Y/N to get something.

She scoffed, flashing him a small smile. "I must look crazy, but thanks," she said, ordering only a can of Sprite once the barista came over. Jungkook shook his head at her statement, hoping he seemed genuine.

After fishing out a few coins to pay, Y/N brought out a much-thumbed, pastel notepad alongside a blunt pencil and a tape recorder that looked like it belonged in the Eighties.

"Impressive," he commented, observing the way Y/N's eyes lit up as she giggled.

"I'm pretty serious about this stuff," she admitted with pride, "and surprisingly, people enjoy what I'm doing, so I've got to do my best."

Jungkook smiled in response, before assuring her with, "I'll try to be funny for you." To which Y/N gave him a thumbs-up as she pressed a button on the recorder. Jungkook assumed she had started recording as she began asking him questions.

"You to appear to be a popular guy by many of our classmates. Does it make you feel good?" She questioned before taking a sip of her drink, seeming rather laidback.

Jungkook should've known this type of question was going to come up. Y/N didn't beat around the bush, and he wasn't alienated by the straightforwardness.

"If I have to be frank," Y/N giggled at his forced posh tone as he continued, "I don't like the term 'popular'. It's nice that I'm liked by most of our classmates, but I've just been getting through school with the aim to be kind, social, and to excel in studies. I guess my close friends would describe me as chill?"

Y/N nodded, picking up her notepad and pencil to scribble (which slightly confused Jungkook because she was already recording his words, but he didn't voice his thoughts).

Throughout their interview, a level of playful professionalism was sustained. Jungkook understood why people liked her. She didn't come off as noisy or boring, she kept it fascinating. She was fascinating to Jungkook.

Subtle flirts were being made by him naturally, and her ability to reply without timidness made their conversation amusing. He wondered if she enjoyed it, or if she was just playing along for the sake of it.

Time flew by and the interview had already come to an end; the sky being filled with orange and pink as the sun slowly went down. Y/N began putting away her equipment, looking pleased.

"So, what's your story?" Jungkook inquired, leaning in with his arms resting on the table.

Y/N raised her eyebrow again (an action that Jungkook found himself smiling at), acknowledging his question with a jest. "I don't see the point of someone as popular as you knowing about my life."

Jungkook dismissed the remark with an offhand flick of his wrist, to which the pair couldn't help but laugh at. He continued, "C'mon, can't the famed journalist tell me a little about her backstory? It would make me feel special."

She hummed in response, pressing a finger against her pursed lips. Jungkook was ready for another light denial before she gave him a charming smile. "Ask me out," she suggested, standing up with all her things as she got ready to depart, "and you'll find out."

She winked at him before leaving the café, the bell's chime snapping Jungkook back into reality. He acknowledged the fact that he had been shamelessly staring at her, poking his tongue against his cheek.

"Wow..." he muttered under his breath, pinching his nose. It was safe to assume that she was interested in him too. He smirked to himself, glad that tomorrow was a school day. "Guess I have to ask then."

The End ♥️