Open Me Up - Park Jimin

"I loved you"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/N stares at the mason jar in front of her, eyes devoid of emotion. It's placed on her bedroom desk, the same bedroom desk that she's slouching at. Her head rests on her notebook, full of biology revision notes. Her hand loosely grips her pen, which slips from her fingers after some time and rolls away.

She is still fixated on the jar, full with tiny notes. From whom, you ask? Her boyfriend. I mean— her ex-boyfriend.

He gave it to her, saying, "read this if I ever break up with you." She only laughed back then. Y/N was a fool. How could she not see the blatant foreshadowing?

Ever since he dumped her, she refuses to open it. 'It's probably everything that went wrong with our relationship, everything that's wrong with me.'

After countless crying sessions, slumber nights with her best friends, and some much needed alone time, Y/N feels a little better. She's not fully recovered from the heartache - she thinks she could never be - but she's not so distraught anymore.

That's why, after becoming fed up of biology, her eyes are on the mason jar. She doesn't feel anything. 'Am I finally numb?' Slowly, she brings her head up and sighs. She gets the jar and twists the lid open.

She moves her notebook aside and turns the jar upside down. The neatly folded notes fall out and scatter upon her desk. Colours of varying pastels and Y/N doesn't know where to start until she realises that they have numbers on the back. "Thanks, Jimin... I guess," she mumbles under her breath as she picks up number one.

It's okay to cry. It's okay to hate me.
Cry your feelings out and hate me all
you want before you open the next

She feels this sudden pain in her chest. Tears prick at her eyes, causing her to rub them. Then, she reads the note again, smiling sadly to herself. How can he be so kind still?

Since she's been crying for the past few weeks, she thinks she can read further. She picks up the next one, steeling herself by taking a deep breath before unfurling the folds.

I should've said sorry in the first one but I hope you don't mind me saying it now. I'm sorry for breaking up with you. Please know that it wasn't entirely your fault. I mean that

Y/N feels heavy reading it, but she also doesn't know how else to feel past that weight. Sad? Angry? Annoyed? Indifferent? Nevertheless, she goes to open the third one.

I'm scared that you've been isolating yourself. I hope you're not. You have amazing friends, truly. I'll miss them once I'm gone, but I'll miss you more

Thoughts race through Y/N's head. Did Jimin really not want to be with her anymore? By these messages, it seems as though he cares tremendously. Maybe that's him being the sweetheart he's always has been. Maybe he doesn't hate her like she thinks he does.

A few notes later, notes of more encouragement and geniality, she comes to the penultimate one which seems bigger than the others. By this point, she's allowed some hot tears to fall down her cold cheeks. Her chest aches, longing to see Jimin again.