Potential? - Kim Taehyung

"Noona I am not a child"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Taehyung is nowhere near being a potential partner for me, no way."

Y/N claims nonchalantly as her and her best friend munch down on fried chicken wings.
"But girl, he's fucking hot. Like I love my guy but I would let Taehyung hit it."

Y/N gasps and slaps her friend's shoulder lightly, the two of them laughing obnoxiously in the fast food restaurant.
"Okay yeah, he's good-looking but I just don't see him that way. He's younger than me anyways."

The friend looks at her with wide eyes, "Since when did age matter?? You're in love with Kpop idols 10 years older than you."

"That's different!!" They get shushed by a server, causing them to quieten down sheepishly.
"Okay still, Taehyung is a no no. Why are you even bringing this up by the way?"

"Because, y'all would be cute together. Besides, I think he has a crush on you."

Those words, no matter how unreliable they may be, made Y/N almost choke on her Pepsi, before deadpanning at her best friend.
"That's not true."

"You never know babe, don't you see him turning down girls all the time? He has the opportunity to be a playboy but he's holding out for someone special. Most likely you. Oh my god that's actually too cute, can I write about your love story?"

Y/N rolls her eyes, suddenly in a less lively state.
Taehyung wouldn't like her like that, right?

Her best friend snaps her fingers playfully in front of her face, bringing Y/N out of a short trance.
"Have you ever thought of him in that way? Like, 'he's pretty cute, boyfriend material' kinda way?"

Shaking her head, Y/N replies, "No, just a 'aww cute little guy' way."

"Little? Li-little?? Sweetheart he acts pretty big."
Y/N gets nudged teasingly after that comment, further accentuating her next eye roll.

So she changes the subject, slyly and successfully to talk about the best friend's boyfriend.
When to be honest, now she can't stop hoping that Taehyung only sees her as a close friend.

•••••••

"Heya Tae! Here to study again? Do you want your regular?"
Y/N asks enthusiastically as Taehyung sits in the café booth where she works as a part-time employee.

It's been a week since her and her best friend have discussed Taehyung, and it sticks in Y/N's mind unforgivingly.

Taehyung scratches his neck awkwardly, "yeah still haven't finished my coursework, whoops haha. And yes my regular please Noona~"

Y/N nods and walks off with his order, already memorised in her head so she can tell the barista easily.
Waiting at the counter, she looks around for any other customers to tend to but it's not a busy day for the café.

She supposes she can talk to Taehyung for a bit.
His order is ready in just seconds, which she goes to place on his table.

She takes a look at his laptop, which is filled with documents upon documents.
"Finance will never sound fun to me."

Y/N states, to which Taehyung deeply chuckles at, "at least you can trust me with your money."

"Yeahhh, noooo."
They both giggle together, Y/N now sitting opposite him.

They partake in a smooth conversation, no harm done as other servers are tending to the few customers present.
Until Y/N brings up a sensitive topic that might make this whole exchange awkward.

"Tae what do you think of me? Like would you date me?"
He stops drinking his coffee, looking at her with an enigmatic look in his wide eyes.

"Huh? I'm- I mean-"
He can't help stuttering at the abrupt question, especially when he actually does like her.

"Sorry wait, I'm just asking 'cause ya girl is hella insecure."
A lovely excuse, which tones down Taehyung's nerves.

But it also saddens him.

"Well... yeah I wouldn't mind dating you. You're a great person Noona."
He says truthfully, a tinge of hope in his system.

"I hope you're not just saying that to make me feel better."
Y/N jokes, but the conversation is far from becoming funny.

"I'm not. I'm seriously not."
He looks straight in her eyes, with unwavering confidence.

And now Y/N is rethinking every life decision made ever because she likes the look Taehyung has in his eyes for her.
But no, she's still strongly against this all.

"Um... Tae?"
She says, to fill the tense silence. Since she can't figure out what else to say.

"Would you date me?"
He questions, dead serious.

"No."
Her answer is brisk, to the point and painfully genuine.

"Why? Is it because I'm not your type? Because I'm younger? Because I'm such a close friend?" Now it's too uncomfortable for the two of them, even if he stops bombarding her with questions.

"Y-you could be my type- I don't know I've never thought about you in that way. Yes, you're like a kid to me most times, you know you act like one-"

"Noona I am not a child."

He almost seems to growl that sentence, chills running down Y/N's back.
Her best friend was right, he's not 'little' at all.

"I didn't mean it like that, I just meant you're not... just some guy for me to fancy."
Taehyung pinches his nose bridge, trying not to look at Y/N.

"What do I have to do for you to look at me in that way then?"
He asks in a hushed whisper but loud enough for Y/N to hear.

She blushes, because let's be honest, she's tried to not view him in that way.
And it didn't turn out so well.

"I- never mind Tae. It's not a big deal."
Taehyung tilts his head to the side quickly, a clear sign that he's now annoyed.

"If it makes you sleep better at night, then sure."
That harsh statement dampens Y/N mood, making her feel bad for offending the male.

She wants to apologise, but that would make Taehyung more irritated at the moment.
So she leaves the table, despite there being no other customers to tend to.

And she wishes that she gets a chance to redeem herself, to think that there might be a chance for Taehyung.
Perhaps to improve the relationship, or to move it further.

The End ♥️