Chapter Twenty Six

Struggling to my feet I stumble forward, my legs trying to carry the dead weight of my body, my whole body is hurting, I won't make it, I know I won't the front is too far away, struggling forwards I keep going, I can make it, I need to make it,

"Alena, look out!" Jackson's voice loud something hitting me, my body falling to the floor. Caroline stood there, a brick in her hand, ready to throw it at me, Jackson grabbing her, pulling her to the floor, his arms wrapping around her.

"I am sorry, I just didn't want to lose you, I know you still love me" Caroline's voice quiet, Jacksons face full of love and hate.

"I did, I did Caroline, I loved you so much for Tallulah, I told myself I would forgive you for Katie, I told myself it was an accident and forgave you, but this is no accident, you're not the person I loved, that love has gone" My eyes feeling heavy, someone pulling me off the floor.

"Check her Marcus, her back looks like it's bleeding"

Someone checking my body, I can feel his hands, is that the Marcus he spoke to?

"I thought you would hate me" Caroline's voice sad and broken.

"I couldn't hate you, we made Tallulah together, I loved you, but I can't love you for what you are now" My eyes closing, the pain is awful, my last memory, Jackson cradling Caroline as she broke into tears. Waking up dazed, the room is far too bright, panicking, I try moving, my body restrained down, I wasn't saved, I can't have been where has she brought me now? Jackson must have just been a dream, my imagination trying to make me think I have survived and escaped. My body thrashing, the pain unbelievable, screaming a mixture of fear and pain.

"Calm down Alena, look at me" Jackson's voice quiet, turning I can see him, he looks awful like he has been crying and not slept for weeks, my whole-body hurts, I need to sit up, why can't I sit up, pulling against the straps I scream, why am I the one tied down?

"Stop freaking out, if you do, they'll unstrap you, they expected you to freak out after what happened, the shock taking over" He is moving, his body walking towards me. My body relaxing seeing him closer to me, his hand grasping mine, his thumb stroking over it, looking up to him his head fell.

"I'm sorry Alena, this is my fault, I am so, so sorry" The nurses looking at him, he nodded as they started unfastening the straps. His words on replay in my head, I am so, so sorry.

"I knew, I could see it when you spoke about her, you love her, that isn't going to leave, I will be fine, you love Caroline, you should be with her" He is looking at me like I am crazy.

"What are you talking about?" Sitting next to me, he waits for my answer.

"You love Caroline, I saw it when you spoke of her, I heard you saying how you told yourself to forgive her, how you love her, I understand Jackson" I need to say goodbye, move on and hope I recover quickly from it at least he has shown me I can be myself again, I will find a way to be myself without him.

"No Alena, no, I don't even think a thousand no's would be enough, I love you, any love I had for her has gone, I am not walking away Alena, I was saying sorry because you being hurt is my fault" Relief flooding through my veins I honestly thought I had lost him, jumping up to hug him, I scream, the pain is unreal, falling back onto the bed,

"Stay still, you're still seriously hurt" The nurse's voice quiet, trying to calm down so that the nurses would finally leave so we could have some privacy, they finally did, looking up at Jackson with confusion on my face.

"What happened?" My mind trying to remember, but I can't did I pass out at the point where he was saying he loved her?

"Apparently Caroline has been watching me for years, from time to time she would watch Liam, she saw us together and realised we were dating, she made friends with Daz, and used him as a way to get to you" His eyes looking at me.

"She was obviously the person who broke into your apartment, she denies it, she even denied doing this to you though, you left your phone so when Georgina noticed you were gone, she looked at it seeing the address, she rang me and we headed straight for you" His eyes looking at me ready for the next piece.

"What you did was crazy, stupid and crazy, I came close to losing you Alena, and I would have hated that, I really would have" His head lowers, his pain showing on his face.

"I arrived, I saw her behind you with a pole in one hand and brick in the other, I shouted you, but it was too late, I grabbed her, Marcus grabbed you and the police were called, I was cradling her yes, because for the first time she cried, she never cried when Tallulah passed away, she just stayed quiet, she was grieving, I couldn't let her grieve for our daughter alone, Liam is okay, Caroline is now locked up" I can't blame him for that, I wouldn't blame him if he still loved her.

"I don't blame you for comforting her, I honestly don't she didn't mean to hurt Katie, even I could tell that, she was clearly too scared to face you, too scared you would reject her so she hid" Why am I defending her, she tried to kill me.

"She stabbed you through your side, and your face, well isn't as beautiful as it was" He joked, winking at me.

"I am kidding it is, of course it is. You're just very swollen at the moment, she hit you and split your head open, so you have quite a lot of battle wounds" His face etched with pain.

"I'm so sorry, all of this is because of me, I was the one who agreed that It must have been Max, I should have thought that it could be her, I just don't understand why now? Why after all these years? I am so sorry Alena, if you would have died, I would never have forgiven myself" Trying to move to him, I try to cuddle him, the pain is too much, radiating throughout my torso.

"Come here you idiot" I beckoned.

"It's not your fault at all, maybe I should have just told you the address then it wouldn't have happened, and she did it now because she had clearly realised you were getting closer to me than she liked, she didn't want to lose you" His eyes softened, his head beginning to shake.

"Why are you defending her, she was going to kill you Alena" Looking at him, he really doesn't understand does he, I may not have kids, or being pregnant but I am not blind to the pain she is going through.

"I don't see her as Caroline, I see her as the women who lost her baby, who crashed her car and killed Katie, I see her as a broken woman, just like me all those years ago, sure I didn't hurt anyone, I was still broken though, and she clearly is. I see your pain when Tallulah is mentioned, just because she is crazy doesn't mean she doesn't feel the same pain as you, or any other person grieving for their child, I can't ignore that no matter how much she hurt me, I could clearly see she was hurting" His smile widened, and there it was the pain from Tallulah, he can't hide it he can try but I can see it in his eyes.

"You're too kind, honestly Alena, but I understand what you mean" His lips pressing against mine, kissing him back, I don't feel anything, no spark, no magnets drawing us together nothing.

"You're awake" Georgina is squealing running into the room, her arms wrapping around me tight.

"Ouch!" My scream loud from the pain, her body jumping back.

"I'm sorry, I'm just glad to see you awake finally" She is smiling, clearly happy, Liam stood by the door just looking at me.

"Thank you for coming to save me, or at least trying to save me" His smile small, his head lowered, I would have done it again in a heartbeat.

"Please can everyone leave, she needs to recover too many people will delay it" The nurse is standing at the door waiting for them to leave, Georgina and Liam say goodbye and walk out, Jackson standing here looking at her defiant, he isn't going anywhere, sensing it she gives up walking out. She is right, I am exhausted and fell asleep quickly,